Friday, January 21, 2011

Portal





Portal

Portal Chronicles, #1
Author: Imogen Rose
Reading Level and Genre: Young Adult Science-Fiction Romance
Published: January 23, 2010

Rating: 4/5








Right from the beginning of this book, I was hooked. I mean, when the last sentence of the prologue ends in "Come find me two years ago," wouldn't you be curious? There are many great things about this book, and also a few bits that I didn't really like. 


I loved the whole idea of time-travel in this book. It made me ask so many questions. I was really curious about what had happened and how this all worked out. That was part of the problem. I can understand if the characters in the book can't really know what's going on, but really, the time travel concept wasn't explained much more than "portal." It was all just too vague. I wish it was a little more descriptive in that aspect. Also, it took Arizona a little (in my opinion) too long to figure out what was going on. I guess I would be confused, too, if I were in her shoes, but the rest of us (as in, the readers) knew what was going right after the first two chapters.


The characters were great. I wish my family was like Arizona's. And I wish I had a boyfriend like Kellan. Or maybe Harry. But Harry's the brother, so I don't think Arizona would like Harry as a boyfriend. 


... Anyways.


The beginning was a little slow, but if you got over it, the rest of the book was great.


Another issue I had with this book was the dialog. It was too... stilted. For instance: 


"What a pleasant surprise. My own bathroom! Hey, I'm beginning to love this dream! It was small but had a shower, sink, and toilet. Excellent, it was all clean and tidy; I would soon change that. I opened the cabinet under the sink and found sets of towels and extra toothpaste."


Another issue with the writing was that the narrator Arizona claimed to dislike British terms, but there are several instances in which she used British English rather than American ("hockey kit"= uniform, "bagsies"=dibs).


But enough with the not-so-nice stuff. I really liked this book! The plot was great, I loved the relationships between the characters, and the ending definitely left me wanting more. (Always a great thing.) I liked the way there was a switch between first and third person, between Olivia and Arizona. I just wish there was a little more Olivia and some more description. 


Imogen Rose shows a lot of promise! I can't wait for the next ones. Pick up this book! It's great for science fiction and romance lovers! 


(Plus, it's only $0.99 at Amazon for Kindle.)


Synopsis: 


Come Find Me Two Years Ago... 

Six words that propelled ice hockey playing tomboy, Arizona, into an alternate dimension. 

She suddenly found herself in the past. In one moment she went from being an ice hockey playing teenager in New Jersey to a glamorous cheerleader in California. She found herself transported from a happy life with her dad, Dillard, to a new, strange one living with her mother whom she hates. Apparently it's a life she's always lived in. 

Everyone knows her as Arizona Darley, but she isn't. She is Arizona Stevens. 

As she struggles to find answers she is certain of one thing- that her mother Olivia, a brilliant physicist, is somehow responsible. . 

PORTAL is the story of the repercussions of Olivia Darley's attempt at creating a perfect world for herself and her children. Arizona's quest for answers threatens to undermine the seemingly perfect world that her mother has so carefully constructed. 

PORTAL is the first book of the Portal Chronicles. Fans of time travel, romance, and the supernatural will enjoy Arizona's quest for answers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...