Sunday, February 6, 2011

Forgive My Fins

Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)
Forgive My Fins


Series: Fins, #1
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Fantasy Romance
Published: May 19, 2010

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Cover Rating: 4/5
Cover Comments: I love this cover! It's so pretty. The make up on the model is just so amazing. I don't think Lily looks like this in real life, but it obviously shows the mermaid influence in this book.


I kind of picked up this book without really knowing much about it, but the cover just caught my eye and I had heard it mentioned once or twice around the blogosphere. And I LOVED it. It's such a cute, funny book. I think it's a little different from many other fantasy books because in most of them you're "human," and then you find out you're half or part of or distantly related to something you never could've imagined was real before. In this book, not only is Lily a mermaid, she's a mermaid princess. But she's also half-human, so she goes to live on land for a while. On land, with the "terrapeds," Lily meets a boy, Brody, that she instantly falls in love with and claims to be her own so that they can share the throne together in the future. Well, that doesn't really work out because another guy, Quince Fletcher, somehow always manages to thwart Lily's plans of getting Brody to notice her for more than just a friend. 

Quince is just the most amazing guy. Sure, he's annoying from the beginning, but it's obvious that he likes Lily. Gotta love a motorcycle-riding tough guy who's really gentle and sweet on the inside. Like an M&M. I love M&Ms. Those pretzel ones are amazing. 

The reason this book didn't get a full 5 is because there were just some parts when I wanted to throw the book at the wall. No, seriously. WAS LILY BLIND?!? I mean, sure I guess it's part of her character that she's ignorant, but sometimes it just got ANNOYING. Quince freaking LOVES you. And she's all "Laa-dee-dah I love Brody, Brody, Brody..." So yeah. Headdesks. 

That's not the main issue of the story. Well, it kind of is. On the night of the dance (that Lily wanted to ask Brody to), Quince kisses Lily. Cue the "uh oh"s. Well, little did Quince know, he is now turning into a mermaid. Or rather, merman. They've now even "bonded." Yeah, with that little kiss. So Lily insists on taking Quince (who can't swim) down to Thalassinia and get her father, the king, to separate them. But her father, King Whelk ("Daddy") is not sure that Lily truly knows what her heart wants, and insists that the two stay together for a while so she can search her feelings. Lily refuses to even acknowledge Quince, and demands to be separated so she can tell Brody her secret. 

And that's all I'm going to say. If you love mermaids, or chick lit, or humor, or romance, then you'll probably like this book. I thought the series was over, until I read the epilogue. Boy, my jaw dropped and I just stared at the page until it was fully absorbed. Quite a shock.

Teaser/Favorite Quotes:

"Son of a swordfish." (I'm sorry, but that just made me LOL. First time Lily used "sea slang" and it was so random I had to laugh. I think I kind of realize what my friends must think of me with my Asianness now...)

"'Careful, princess,' he says as we emerge into the gardens. 'Someone might think you're jealous.' 'You wish,' I snap. The last person I would ever be jealous over is Quince Fletcher."

"'It must be the bond. ... It's messing with our feelings. I'm like a frogging tidal wave of alternating emotions. And he's not better. He practically bit off my head for walking with Brody yesterday.'" 

"Hopefully, twenty-four hours from now, my bond with Quince will be a distant memory. Brody will be mine before Monday."

"His arms are around my waist, mine around his neck. ...Anxiety and relief and joy swirl between us until I can't tell which are his and which are mine. I can't not be kissing him now."

Goodreads Synopsis:

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it’s not that she has a huge crush on gorgeous swimming god Brody Bennett, who makes her heart beat flipper-fast. Unrequited love is hard enough when you’re a normal teenage girl, but when you’re half human, half mermaid like Lily, there’s no such thing as a simple crush.

Lily’s mermaid identity is a secret that can’t get out, since she’s not just any mermaid – she’s a Thalassinian princess. When Lily found out three years ago that her mother was actually a human, she finally realized why she didn’t feel quite at home in Thalassinia, and she’s been living on land and going to Seaview high school ever since, hoping to find where she truly belongs. Sure, land has its problems – like her obnoxious, biker boy neighbor Quince Fletcher – but it has that one major perk – Brody. The problem is, mermaids aren’t really the casual dating type – when they “bond,” it’s for life.

When Lily’s attempt to win Brody’s love leads to a tsunami-sized case of mistaken identity, she is in for a tidal wave of relationship drama, and she finds out, quick as a tailfin flick, that happily-ever-after never sails quite as smoothly as you planned.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...