Monday, February 28, 2011

I Am Number Four



I Am Number Four


Series: Lorien Legacies, #1
Author: Pittacus Lore (Pseudonym)
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Science Fiction
Publication Date: August 3, 2010

Overall Rating: 3.75/5 (I really couldn't decide.)
Cover Rating: 3.5/5
Cover Comments: The cover actually looks pretty cool. That picture isn't very flattering, but on the actual book it's raised and everything, so it's much better looking. I like the fire colors used on this; it definitely catches your eye.



Of course, a lot of people have heard of this book - or at least the movie - by now. I'm a read-book-see-movie type person. I have to read the book, then see the movie. 


John Smith is not your average school boy. His name may sound like it, but really it's not. It's one of about twenty other names he's had. He's normally just known as "Four." John is an alien from planet Lorien, which was exploited by the Mogadorians. The entire planet was pretty much destroyed, and there was barely enough time for nine of the alien children and their guardians to escape. These children had a charm placed on them so that they had to be killed in numerical order, unless two or more of them somehow meet up. Three have been killed so far, and now Number Four, John is next. These nine children are the only ones that can keep the Mogadorians from coming and destroying Earth, too. It's their job to save themselves and Earth, and eventually return back to Lorien.


After running his entire life, John has found himself happy in a small town in Ohio, where he's met a beautiful girl and even made a friend. It's not soon after, though, that the Mogadorians seem to be on their trail again. John has to choose between what he believes is love, or duty in protecting the country he never really knew.


This book is one of the most action-packed I've read all year. John is a likable character. He's funny, smart, athletic, and he loves his guardian, Henri, and his dog, Bernie Kosar. (Speaking of Bernie Kosar: most favorite character in the book) Each scene was well-written and dramatic. There were light moments, and heavy, dark moments. It was also full of some surprises, although some may have been more surprising to John than to the reader. 


This book is definitely an attention grabber. The entire concept of the book is very interesting and I can't wait for August 2011 when The Power of Six comes out, because I thoroughly enjoyed the romance, adventure, and humor, and so will any fiction lover. 


Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)
I read this book with absolutely no biased thoughts from earlier reviews or mentions of this book. There are certainly controversies about it, but really, just read it. Don't judge a book until you've actually read it. There were some moments when Sarah and John's romance seemed a little cheesy... or it wasn't well-developed enough. I think the movie adaptation of this book will focus a lot of the romance between the two, but I don't think the romance in the book really stood out to me as much. I know it's a huge role in the book, I just don't like the way their romance was written. Also, I really don't get how the protective charm was protective. I mean, if I were Number One, I would freak. Another part is the Mogadorians. Yeah. Those guys successfully creeped me out. I was reading this at one o'clock in the morning with nothing but a little lamp. Very scary. But then again, I'm just easily frightened. But it all adds to the intensity of the book, which this one certainly has a lot of. 


First Line:
"The door starts shaking."


Goodreads Synopsis:
In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now. 

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next. 

I AM NUMBER FOUR is the thrilling launch of a series about an exceptional group of teens as they struggle to outrun their past, discover their future—and live a normal life on Earth. 

I AM NUMBER FOUR. 
I AM NEXT.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...