Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Across the Universe

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)Across the Universe

Series: Across the Universe, #1
Author: Beth Revis
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Science Fiction
Features: New worlds, other planets
Publication Date: January 11, 2011
Source: Library

Overall Rating: 5/5
Cover Rating: 5/5
Cover Comments: Absolutely gorgeous cover. Whoever created this, you are genius. I seriously can't wait for the next one's cover...  what can possibly beat this?


Amy is just your typical American girl. At least, she was 250 years ago. She and her parents join the Godspeed expedition, where they are frozen and placed on an over-sized metal cage that flies (aka Godspeed) and where they will remain until they are woken up 300 years later, after the ship lands on the new planet. But the thing is, Amy got woken up early, fifty years early. Lost and alone with nowhere to go, Amy can't find her place in this strange new world on Godspeed where everything, and I mean everything, seems to be under the rule of Eldest. Fiery girl that she is, Amy is able to find some comfort in her new friends Elder (future leader of the ship) and Harvey. Together, they must solve the mystery of who is unplugging the frozen bodies and attempting to kill them - before another murder happens.

Beth Revis writes this gripping, chilling novel and incorporates elements of science fiction, dystopia, mystery, and romance all into one small book. It's a huge array of genres, and yet she's lassoed them all together and produced this magnificent book that will leave you guessing until the end.

Each character had its own personality. My personal favorite was Harvey. He was super nice and an artist. I loved his easy-going personality. Amy was very strong-willed, and very, very different from everybody else on the ship. Probably why Eldest hated her. Eldest was the most mysterious character. Is he good? Is he bad? We don't know until the end. And I'm not telling you now.

This book raises a lot of questions, some moral. It's definitely a very interesting book and I loved how it kept me wondering and guessing. Some books don't do that. They're obvious from the beginning. But this one? It's like a maze. Each turn brings something new. 

I love Revis's writing style. She writes the book from two points of view: Elder's and Amy's. This gives you a much better idea of what's going on, but it doesn't ruin too much for you. I also love how she sometimes writes broken phrases or words with pauses in between. It brings more into the novel. Sometimes, less is more. (Cliche, huh?)

If you love science fiction, dystopia, mystery, or romance (or maybe all of the above) this book is one that you will definitely enjoy. Beth Revis provides us with a brilliant debut that is a must-read for book lovers. The next one, A Million Suns, will definitely be on my lookout!

Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)
This book? Total creep factor. But I loved it. Because it has sad and happy moments, too. It really gets your brain juices flowing with all the questions that are raised. 

The beginning did seem a little slow, and same with the middle, but the ending rushes by super fast. But it's not so fast that it's just badly rushed. The one thing I didn't really like was Elder's feelings for Amy. I get that she's beautiful and different from all the other girls, but when all he can think about is her... it seems a little selfish when he has a whole ship to take care of. I just don't really feel the romance between them is very real, but I hope it develops more in the next book.

Beginning Excerpt:
Daddy said, "Let Mom go first."
Mom wanted me to go first. I think it was because she was afraid that after they were contained and frozen, I'd walk away, return to life rather than consign myself to that cold, clear box. But Daddy insisted.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes: 
"I never thought about how important the sky was until I didn't have one."

"'That's all you need to know about Godspeed,' he says. 'Although you should also know this. I am Eldest.'
Good for you, I think. Congrats on being old." 

"Sorry? Sorry? Sorry isn't enough. Every. Single. Thing. I ever loved is beyond my reach now. Everything I ever wanted. Everything I ever was." 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...