Saturday, March 19, 2011

Angel

Angel (Maximum Ride, #7)Angel

Series: Maximum Ride, #7
Author: James Patterson
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Science Fiction
Features: Genetically enhanced children
Publication Date: February 14, 2011
Source: Bought on Amazon Kindle

Overall Rating: 3/5
Cover Rating: 3/5
Cover Comments: It's just an average cover, with two people, so I can't say much about it. I like this one more, though, because a) It actually has Angel on the cover, and b) It's purple. The other edition only has Max on the cover, which doesn't make sense to me if you only look at the title. If the cover had Fang, on the other hand...

***Warning: May contain spoilers.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed. I LOVED this series early on. I was one of its biggest fans. But after book 4 or 5 and all that global warming stuff came in, the series just went down-hill. I'm not saying global warming awareness and stuff is bad or anything, but the entire series just changed from a Flock saving the world from mad scientists, to a Flock saving the world from itself. This one, thankfully, did not include anything about global warming in it. 

Max and her Flock are living fairly "normal" lives in Max's mom's home, until she is approached one day by scientists (that may or may not be evil, we don't know) who tell her she has to lead this huge group of genetically enhanced children that are now coming in. Along with that, they're still trying to convince her that Dylan is her perfect soul mate, and Max actually might be falling for him. 

On the other side, Fang now has his own gang. I'm sorry, but the way "gang" rhymes with "Fang" is just... cheesy. Anyways. Fang has his own group of superhuman kids, but none of the others have wings. Oh wait. Except one. You know, the Max clone from a couple years ago. 

...OK. *takes deep breath* I'm surprised I haven't gone berserk on this review yet because the fact that Fang uses Max II (or Maya) in his gang to basically replace Max, just disgusts me. 

But those are just internal issues with the two flocks. Because there's a new evil in town, called the Doomsday Group. I'm actually satisfied with the antagonists in this novel because they actually seem like a huge challenge to the Flock, and I want to see how it plays it out. I mean, the fact that they're cocky enough to go and try to blow up Paris... they're either super-smart evil genii, or extremely stupid. (And yes, "genii" is the correct term for the plural "genius." I learned it from Artemis Fowl.) 

I felt this book... was rushed. Really, I don't think much happened. Just when it seemed to get good, it just ended. Right then and there, and I was left flipping back and forth through my Kindle (Wait. How does that work?), trying to find the actually ending. Alas, there was none. It just stopped. Angel felt like this: James Patterson...
  1. Wrote the book.
  2. Checked it for grammatical errors.
  3. Turned it in to be published. 

And I guess when you're one of the top selling authors ever, you can get away with that. But that doesn't mean it will make the rest of us happy.

Speaking of things that don't make me happy, here are a few:
  • Max+Dylan=Little bird kids? You're kidding me. Seriously, Jeb. I thought you were crazy before, I am certainly not doubting it now. You too, Dr. Haagen Dazs. 
  • Dylan. This boy just seems to be trouble, doesn't he? If he sings another song, I will barf. You, my dear, have issues. Your feelings for Max? Please don't give me that crap.
  • Fang. Or rather, -Fang (negative Fang). As in, the lack of Fang. Child, YOU BELONG WITH MAX. GET BACK WITH HER. What happened?
  • Maya. I think I might need to barf again. NOT COOL.
But hey, guys. I'm just trolling. I mean, this is Maximum Ride, for crying out loud. One of my all-time favorite series. And that right there is one of the highest compliments I can possibly give. Which is why I'll just list the few flaws, and tell you that the rest of it is GOOD.

If you've been keeping up with the series, and you know that little seven-year-old Angel is kind of a creepy know-it-all, world-dominating freak, but don't worry. She's MUCH better in this book. I love her so much more. 

All in all, I've pretty much had a love-hate relationship with this book. But I will definitely be buying the next one when it comes out. Because if Fang and Max do not end up back together, heads will be rolling.

Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)

You want more? No, you don't. That entire rant up there was pretty much teen me screaming "FAX! FAX! GO AWAY, DYLAN!"

First Paragraph (I usually do first line, but I think this time it would be better with the paragraph) : 
I know he'll come for me. He has to come for me. Fang wouldn't let me die here.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes: 
"Some kids get called 'bundles of joy' or 'slices of heaven' or 'dreams come true.' We got 'the fifty-fourth generation of DNA experiments.' Doesn't have the same warm and fuzzy feel. But maybe I'm oversensitive."

"...Who, last time I'd checked, was still on your official archenemy list. (Yes, we have to keep a list. It's kind of sad.)"

"'Yeah, you're sitting in a tree because you're fine. That's easy to see. I can't believe this is Maximum Ride, destroyer of despots, warrior hottie, leader of the flock! All you need now to make yourself more pathetic is a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream!'" 

"'We'll all go out together when we go.
Yes, we'll all go out together when we go.
Oh, how the world will die
From great fire in the sky.
Yes, we'll all go out together when we go.'
 
...'Call me old fashioned but I'll take 'She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain' any day.'" 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
In the seventh book in the bestselling series, evil scientists are still trying to convince Max that she needs to save the world, this time by providing the genetic link in speeding up the pace of evolution. Worse, they're trying to convince her that her perfect mate is Dylan, the newest addition to the flock. The problem is that, despite herself, Max is starting to believe it.

Fang travels the country collecting his own gang of evolved humans, but the two separate flocks must unite to defeat a frightening doomsday cult whose motto is Save the Planet: Kill the Humans. And this time, the true heroine, for once, might just be little Angel.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...