Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Firelight

Firelight (Firelight, #1)
Firelight


Series: Firelight, #1
Author: Sophie Jordan
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Fantasy
Features: Dragons (Draki), dragon hunters
Publication Date: September 7, 2010
Source: Library

Overall Rating: 4.75/5
Cover Rating: 4.5/5
Cover Comments: Absolutely love the cover! Gorgeous color (I really want hair that color) and the dragon scales and eye are so pretty! The book caught my eye with that detailing because when I saw it, thought about dragons, and put it on my TBR because I am a HUGE fan of dragons.

The reason I picked up this book was because of the cover. Actually, it was the cover of its sequel, Vanish. It’s even prettier than Firelight’s. All silvery…

This book caught me from the very beginning. It starts off with Jacinda and her best friend, Azure, breaking the most important law of their pack: flying during the day. Jacinda is special in her draki pack. She’s a fire breather, the first in many generations. This instantly attracts her to the leader of the pack, whose son claims her for himself so they can become mates and create more fire breathers. Jacinda, however, does not agree with this arrangement, and hates how she is constantly watched and judged, so she tries to break a couple of rules here and there. After being caught, Jacinda’s mother decides to take Jacinda and her twin sister away from the pack and into the mortal world. Jacinda becomes sick as her mother tries to force her draki part from within her, but she refuses to let it go. She’s able to hold onto it through the one light in her world: Will.

I loved Will from the beginning. He saved Jacinda’s life, and he’s devoted and sweet. He’s also different from his family. Jacinda and Will seem perfect for each other. There’s just one little issue: Will’s family and Jacinda’s pack are mortal enemies. Jacinda tries to avoid Will, but finds she cannot, because she has to keep her draki within her, and strangely only Will seems to be able to help with that. I loved Jacinda’s independence and her strong will. Well, kind of. She definitely thinks for herself. I just don't think she acts for herself. She whines and complains, but never really does anything about it. Sometimes the book seemed a little repetitive. 


This book is beautifully written and had me in its grasp through the entire length. I read it straight through from beginning to end and didn’t put it down once. Cassian, I think, is the most complex character. I don’t think he really loves Jacinda for who she is… but does he? He’s mysterious, and dangerous, and I don’t like him at all. I also question Jacinda’s mother. She seems rather selfish, or maybe she just doesn’t understand Jacinda’s true feelings. I was shamelessly rooting for Jacinda every time she defied her.

If you love dragons, strong female characters, and/or forbidden romances, this book is definitely for you. It kept me on edge the entire time, and I just couldn’t wait to flip the page and read what happens next. The ending left me slack-jawed and I really can’t wait for Vanish!

Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)
As much as I liked this book, there were some instances when I couldn’t help but compare this book to others. I saw many similarities between Firelight and Twilight by Stephenie Meyer and Nightshade by Andrea Cremer. There is an Edward in this book, only he’s female and a draki. Jacinda tries to avoid Will because of what she is and his own family. This book is also like Nightshade because it involves a (somewhat) love triangle where one boy is from the girl’s home and another is a mortal. The girl has been paired with the one (non-mortal) boy from a young age because of what she is, and she begins to feel that this is wrong. 

So there were just some parts when I was like “this sounds familiar…” but that didn’t keep me from disliking the book.

First Line:
“Gazing out at the quiet lake, I know the risk is worth it.”

Favorite/Teaser Quotes:
"I stare into his eyes, I shake my head, sorry for the chance we lost. The chance we maybe never had. But not for saving him. I would do that again, no matter the cost." 

"You cold?' He chafes my arms. I haven't been cold since I moved here. This is something else. 'No. But you can put your arms around me anyway." 

"After running for my life from hunters, a girl with too much lip gloss doesn't register on my fear radar." 

"What good is safety if you're dead inside?" 

Goodreads Synopsis:
A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.

Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.

Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...