Sunday, March 20, 2011

Shadowland

Shadowland

Series: The Immortals, #3
Author: Alyson Noel
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA PNR, Fantasy
Features: Ghosts, psychics, immortals
Publication Date: November 17, 2009
Source: Library

Overall Rating: 3/5
Cover Rating: 4/5
Cover Comments: I have loved all of the covers of this series thus far. Love the amulet featured on this one. It serves a huge part in this book. 

Sadly, this book has been the most disappointing of the series so far. I really enjoyed books one and two. They were fun, adventurous, fast, exciting. But this one just seemed... old. 
Damen and Ever are met with an issue that first appeared at the end of the second book. They once again can't be together. One touch, kiss, hug, or any type of contact may end up killing Damen. Damen decides (for once in his six-hundred-year life) to give up anything that may seem selfish. Including Ever. He lets her go, telling her she may choose between him, or the new guy in the picture: Jude. In this story Romy and Rayne again may an appearance, in which Damen and Ever basically adopt them. 

What bothered me about this was Ever. I mean, the girl needs to grow up! I could deal with it in the first book. I mean, yeah. You died, you come back to life, and you can now see ghosts. I get it. You'll be a little freaked. The second book? Ever actually showed some growing up and made a huge sacrifice. This one? No. Stop making the same mistakes over and over, stop whining, stop not listening to other people! Sigh. Breathe in, breathe out.

Aside from Ever's paranormal life, she also has a somewhat normal life. You know, just a normal life where your teacher dates your aunt. The aunt that you live with. Plus she has two "best friends," Haven and Miles. I put the quotation marks in there because really, are they really her friends? They're almost never in the picture. She seems to have completely ignored them since Damen came in. It's only at the end when we see some renewal of friendship, but until then, they've been pushed aside. And really, I like both of them. Miles is super funny... although Haven can be a little annoying sometimes.

I loved this book for its great writing, fun dialogue, and fascinating story. It's just that there were some things that I didn't like so much that overshadowed the rest. However, bad things aside, I will continue the series to find out what happens next.

Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)
I won't rant about Ever, because I'm tired about her. So I'll talk about Jude. I don't know about you, but all I can say is I don't think dreadlocks are attractive. Therefore, he's a no-no. No offense.

First Line/First Paragraph/Beginning Excerpt: 
"Everything is energy."
Damen's dark eyes focus on mine, urging me to lsiten, really listen this time. "Everything around us-" His arm sweeps before him, tracing a fading horizon that'll soon fade to black. "Everything in this seemingly solid universe of ours isn't solid at all-it's energy-pure vibrating energy. And while our perception may convince us that things are either solid or liquid or gaseous-on the quantum level it's all jut particles within particles-it's all just energy."
I press my lips together and nod, his voice overpowered by the one in my head urging: Tell him! Tell him now! Quit stalling, and just get it over with! Hurry, before he starts talking again!
But I don't. I don't say a word. I just wait for him to continue so I can delay even further.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes: 
"Sometimes destiny lies just outside of our reach. " 
"We meet the people we’re supposed to when the time is just right." 
"...in the end, all I want is to be with him. It's the only way my life feels complete." 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
At the start of this breathtaking novel, Damen and Ever travel to Summerland in search of an antidote to reverse a powerful poison. But instead of the cure they seek, they find something far more sinister: the truth about their existence and the fate lying in wait of an immortal’s soul.

Now, with Damen fighting to save them from the Shadowland, Ever turns to magick, hoping to break Damen’s curse. Along the way Ever encounters the mysterious Jude, finding herself drawn to him in a way that will test her love for Damen like never before . . .

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...