Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Author Interview: Stephanie Void


Please welcome the author of Running from Secrets, Stephanie Void!
~~~
I’m Stephanie Void; I’m 24; I’m a New Orleans native and a current Bostonian; I write fantasy books.

3LB: Why did you want to become a writer? 

I started seriously writing when I was 14. I was staying at my grandmother’s house while my parents were house-hunting, so I had a huge amount of free time on my hands. I started thinking about characters, plots, and such, which was odd because I hadn’t written a short story in years. But I went with it and wrote the first chapter of my first novel (not this one) in the passenger seat of my mom’s car on a trip from North Carolina to Louisiana, where I discovered I really loved writing. I read a lot of writing books, took some classes on writing later, and haven’t stopped writing since.

3LB: What inspired you to write a story within a story? 

Honestly? The ideas for this book came together directly after a nap on a couch in a school library. Glamorous, right? It evolved from two ideas I already had: 1) to write an alternate-world story where the main character has some form of control over the world instead of just being along for the ride and 2) to write a story from the perspective of someone unlikely: a minion in the army of the bad guy. It grew from there.

3LB: If you were Bethany, what type of world would you have created? What if you knew you could go into it? Would you make changes? 

If I created a world I could visit, I’d put a landscape like the Grand Canyon in it. I’ve never been there (yet) but the pictures of it fascinate me.

3LB: Which character of yours are you most alike? Or did you put some of you in each one?
I’d say I am most like Bethany because I have felt like an outsider like she did and I based some of Linwood on places I’ve lived, but Bethany isn’t really me.

3LB: What’s next for you? What other books have you written? 

I have another book that will be finished this year, called Halfway. It is the beginning of a series I’m writing. It’s about two siblings: a boy who is kidnapped, then grows up inside a dangerous magical organization and his sister, who is determined to find him, even if it takes her into dangerous magical-mad-science territory. My beta readers are reading it now, so hopefully it will be ready very soon. I’ll be posting updates on my website!

3LB: Do you have any other hobbies that you enjoy? 

Oh, yes indeed! I enjoy oil painting, making my own clothes, martial arts, reading (of course), traveling (when I can afford to), singing, swimming, and photography. I also have a thing for doing things that are dangerous.

3LB: If you were to go live on an island and could only choose 5 books to take with you, what would you choose? 

My Edgar Allan Poe collection (one book), a Bible, the Lord of the Rings, an island survival guide, and a field medical guide for the inevitable injuries I would incur while exploring aforementioned island.

3LB: Time travel: Future or past? 

Can I pick both? Space travel, sailing ships, medieval castles... so difficult to choose!

3LB: Biggest pet peeves? 

My absolute biggest pet peeve would be restaurants that use some animal they serve there smiling on their logo (it’s pretty creepy when you think about it). Another one is movies that rely on visuals and ignore good plot development.

3LB: Tell us five interesting things about yourself. 

Sure! 
  1. I was homeschooled for 8 years. 
  2. I enjoy dying my hair purple, blue, pink, or blood red sometimes 
  3. I can do a really accurate Gollum voice 
  4. I’m a martial arts teacher in a super-hardcore martial art 
  5. I graduated college in combat boots.
3LB: Is there anything else you’d like to share? 
Hmmm. I’ve got a lot of writing projects coming up. I love indie publishing and that I can be a part of it. It has given me this huge burst of creativity, which I intend to put to good use!
~~~
Thank you so much, Stephanie! For more information about Stephanie, visit:
Running from Secrets

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...