Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review: Linger




Series: The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA PNR
Features: Werewolves
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: July 13, 2010
Source: Library
 Overall Rating: 5/5
Cover Rating: 5/5
Cover Comments: I love all the covers of this series. They have the same theme with the trees, but the colors are different and there's a wolf and girl on this one.

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other.  Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack.  And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.
~~~
Why, oh why, Maggie Stiefvater, must you reduce me to nothing but a soggy pile of tears? This book is truly a representation of what my love of books stands for. If someone were to ask for a book recommendation, I would give them this. And a box of tissues. I had a feeling the book would be sad from the beginning. After all, everything seemed a little too perfect. And then Grace started getting sick, which was suspicious. There were moments when I just wanted to slap Sam or Grace for being ignorant to Grace's declining health. I also wanted to slap her parents for being jerks. No, really.

This book introduces to us a new character: Cole St. Clair. I wasn't really sure what to think about Cole at first. Was he good or bad? He was probably as confused as I am. Cole is the leading singer of the boy band NARKOTIKA, but his fame has been hard on him and he's turned to drugs and sex. I disliked him at first, but eventually my heart warmed up to him. Of course, he's not as beautiful as Sam. 

I also warmed up to Isabel. A lot. She's such a complex character, and most of her feelings are hidden under that shell of hers. But she makes me laugh with her sarcasm and makes me cry when she shows she actually has a heart.

As for the Cole and Isabel romance thing, I'm not really sure what I want to happen. I think I do want them to work out. They both deserve happiness. And they seem pretty perfect for each other. The problem is, it'll be hard for them to ever express their feelings for each other. I think. Maybe they'll like each other too much.

Of course, there's the Sam and Grace story. They're going as strong as before, and even though they can finally be together after six long years, they're separated by not magic this time, but a (sometimes) aggravating small factor that's present in everybody's lives: parents. This goes back to why I wanted to slap Grace's parents. Thank you, Maggie Stiefvater, for giving us a perfect example of parental ignorance. Even if it's fictional.

This is a beautiful and mesmerizing sequel to the fantastic Shiver. Ms. Stiefvater has met my expectations and more. Her writing is so lyrical and poetic. I love her style. Forever comes out in July, but it seems like forever to me! Sorry, bad joke.


Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)
I feel like screaming about Grace's parents again. WHY?? WHYYYYY??? WHY MUST YOU SEPARATE TRUE LOVE?? *sobs and screams at the same time*
And why, Maggie Stiefvater, must you- *hiccups*
Hee. I don't want to give anything away.

First Line/First Paragraph/Beginning Excerpt: 
This is the story of a boy who used to be a wolf and a girl who was becoming one.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes: 
This is a love story. I never knew there were so many kinds of love or that love could make people do so many different things.
I never knew there were so many ways to say good-bye.

She loved all of the wolves behind her house, but she loved one of them most of all.
And this one loved her back. He loved her back so hard that even the things that weren't special about her became special: the way she tapped her pencil on her teeth, the off-key songs she sang in the shower, how when she kissed him he knew it meant forever.
Hers was a memory made up of snapshots: being dragged through the snow by a pack of wolves, first kiss tasting of oranges, saying good-bye behind a cracked windshield.
A life made up of promises of what could be: the possibilities contained in a stack of college applications, the thrill of sleeping under a strange roof, the future that lay in Sam's smile.
It was a life I didn't want to leave behind.
It was a life I didn't want to forget.
I wasn't done with it yet. There was so much more to say.

"Aren't you afraid?"
"Of what?"
"Of losing yourself."
"That's what I'm hoping for."

"You want to talk? Fine. Talk. Tell me something you've never told anybody else."
I thought for a moment. 'Turtles have the second-largest brains of any animal on the planet."
It took Isabel only a second to process this. "No, they don't."
"That's why I've never told anybody that before." 

"Come on," Cole said. He looked back over his shoulder at Mr. Brisbane, who was looking at me with a complicated expression as I left. Cole pointed at him and said, "You're a son of a bitch. He belongs here more than you do." (GO COLE!!!!)

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...