Sunday, April 17, 2011

Review: Paranormalcy


Series: Paranormalcy, #1
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Paranormal
Features: Paranormals- vampires, werewolves, faeries, shape-shifters, etc.
Publication Date: August 31, 2010
Source: Library
Overall Rating: 4/5
Cover Rating: 5/5
Cover Comments: So pretty! You have a blonde model with a pink dress on, but it’s dark and gloomy and in the background. It combines light and heavy.

Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.


But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.
~~~

A member of the International Paranormal Containment Agency, all Evie has ever known is the sanctuary of the Center and kicking paranormal butt. All she wants is to go to school, to be normal. She's convinced she's human, but how come she's the only one with abilities like hers? It seems a dream come true when all of a sudden IPCA centers all over the world begin to be broken into and destroyed. Her own Center is broken into by a dark faerie, and Evie escapes with her friend Lend to his own home. The trouble is, the dark faerie isn't out to get anybody. She's out to get Evie.


I loved this book. If weren't for the fact that I was reading this in the middle of the night with the lights turned off (minus my wonderful Mighty Bright Book Light), then I would be LOLing the entire time. Kiersten White is absolutely hilarious. She makes Evie not only a kick-butt agent, but a totally normal teenage girl with dreams of being able to do normal things. I mean, seriously. From the very beginning, I was hooked. The first chapter made Evie an instantly likable character and I just loved the setting of the novel.


I love all the other characters, too. Raquel and her sighs was amusing, but she was also secretive. And Lish was amazing. I mean, a mermaid? Who doesn't want a mermaid best friend? And of course, we have Lend. Lend was amazing. He was super sweet, and nice, and funny, and he could obviously deal with Evie's many antics. His and Evie's romance was super cute! (I think most people might see the attraction of a shape-shifter, but I'm not into those types of paranormals. It's a personal thing. Don't worry about it.)


And then, we have the most important character of all: Tasey. I think she looks a little something like this:
Only, she's also sparkly. Haha! I loved it. Evie and her pink, sparkly taser. Absolutely genius, Ms. White! How's that for quirky and fun characters?


So, other than the awesome characters, the plot was fast moving and definitely did not keep me bored. I was reading this at two in the morning, and there was not a moment when I wanted to put my head down and sleep. I just wanted to turn the next page and find out what was going to happen next...


All those parts where dark faerie girl was chasing Evie? Creeped me out. I just pictured being Evie myself and being chased into dark corridors of the Center, trying to escape the fire girl who could burn everything in her path. Oh, scary.


This was an original, intriguing story that was super awesome and will make you yearning for more. I recommend it to any lovers of the paranormal. Oh, bleep, why is Supernaturally so far away??

Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)

Alright. I didn't fall in love with Lend. Usually I fall in love with the male protagonists, but this time, I just... couldn't. I'm sorry, Kiersten, but watery guys aren't type. Especially if he can change forms between an overweight man with a pot belly to a hunky actor. That just isn't very attractive. Oh, and he can turn into you. But I'm sure he's perfect for Evie. :)

First Line/First Paragraph/Beginning Excerpt: 

"Wait- did you- you just yawned!" The vampire's arms, raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides. He pulled his exaggerated white fangs back behind his lips. "What, imminent death isn't exciting for you?"
"Oh, stop pouting. But, really, the widow's peak? The pale skin? The black cape? Where did you even get that thing, a costume store?"
He raised himself to his full height and glared icily down at me. "I'm going to suck the life from your pretty white neck."
I sighed. I hate vamp jobs. They think they're so suave. It's not enough for them to slaughter and eat you like a zombie would. No, they want it to be all sexy, too. And trust me: vampires? Not. Sexy. I mean, sure, their glamours can be pretty hot, but the dry-as-bone corpse bodies shimmering underneath? Nothing attractive there. Not that anyone else can see them, though.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes:
"Oh, bleep."


"Yes, I have a driver's license."
I leaned back against the wall, sighing. "Man, that must be so cool."
"It ranks right up there with lockers. In fact, sometimes I put my license inside my locker, and it's so cool I worry that the whole thing might explode with the sheer coolness of it all." 



"If you fail to report within the next 12 hours. you will be terminated. If you attack any humans, you will be terminated. If you attempt to remove the tracking device, you will be terminated. We look forward to working with you." 


Why does everyone keep asking me that? Seriously, did I look like some sort of pyscho assassin? Maybe it was the pink sneakers. Or the heart earrings?


Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...