Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Author Interview: Kate Kaynak


Please give a warm welcome to the wonderful author and editor Kate Kaynak!

Hi, I'm Kate Kaynak, author of the Ganzfield books. I'm also an editor over at Spencer Hill Press. I live in New Hampshire with my husband and three preschool children, where I enjoy reading, writing, and fighting crime with my amazing superpowers.
3LB: Who or what inspired you to write? Do you have any role models?
I finally got serious about writing novels after my kids were born. My brain was turning to mush, and I needed to do something to check the descent into babbling.
3LB: Describe the Ganzfield series in 5 words or less.
Teenagers with superpowers--in love.
3LB: Each character in Minder has his/her own personality. Who was your most favorite to write?
I LOVE writing from Maddie's point-of-view. She's kind of my snarky alter-ego. I have a major book crush on Trevor that my husband only tolerates because Trevor's partially based on him, and Drew just cracks me up.
3LB: How much of Ganzfield is realistic?
I tried to make is a real as possible. I have a Ph.D. in psychology, so I drew on that background to make the Ganzfield abilities work with actual brain structures and neurochemistry. The setting is a real place in New Hampshire; Maddie comes from my hometown in New Jersey, and even Project Star Gate was a real government program to develop psychic espionage. Seriously, you can Google it.
3LB: What was the hardest part of Minder to write?
Without a doubt, the opening scene was the toughest. It's a terrifying attack--told from inside the head of the intended victim. The fact that she doesn't let them carry out what they'd planned doesn't take away from the fact that it's scary as hell. I wrote that scene--it's only four pages--and then printed it out and set it on my dining room table for a couple of weeks, trying to decide if I really could write the rest of that story.
3LB: What’s next for you? What other books have you written?
I have an unpublished manuscript in my drawer--most writers do--called Bagastana. It's the story of two teenage twins who fall through a portal to a parallel world in which all the world's mythology is true… and a bunch of it is trying to kill them. My blog name--Disgruntled Bear--comes from one of the characters.
As for my next projects, I'm planning to write the sixth and final book of the Ganzfield series this summer; it's tentatively scheduled to come out in late 2013. I have two more books in outline: Boola is the story of a Yale student who talks to ghosts, and Solitary is the standalone story of Seth--yes, the Seth who is heard but not seen in Ganzfield.
3LB: Do you have any tips or advice for aspiring writers?
Show, don't tell--make your character's thoughts and actions convey their emotions and personalities, rather than telling us how they are or what they're feeling. Find competent beta readers who will tell you the hard truth so you can make your books better, and then revise, revise, revise. Read Stephen King's On Writing and Orson Scott Card's Character and Viewpoint. Read books you love, and only write books you yourself would love to read.
3LB: Describe yourself in 3 words.
Over the top.
3LB: What three people/characters would you love to meet? (They can be fictional, dead, or real and very much alive!)
Stephen King, Stephenie Meyer, and Orson Scott Card. I feel like I've already met their characters, so we have some friends in common.
3LB: If you were to go live on an island and could only choose 5 books to take with you, what would you choose?
Why am I being punished this way? Did I kill someone? If it's a space issue, I'd be happy to bring my Kindle and a solar charger! Can I count series as single items? What if I get them specially bound into single volumes?
     Okay… Rowling's Harry Potter books, Meyer's Twilight saga, Armentrout's Covenant Books, Card's Ender's Game… and a book on how to make a raft out of coconuts so I could get back to the rest of my books.
3LB: Tell us five interesting things about yourself.
1. I've taught college psych courses on four continents.
2. I met my husband in an airport in Izmir Turkey--the week after my originally scheduled flight was hijacked.
3. We had our three kids in just over one year (including a set of twins), so when it comes to parenting I'm a cautionary tale.
5. I sometimes intentionally change the order of things, just to shake things up and see if people are paying attention.
4. I have a ridiculously detailed memory for random facts, which makes me a great asset to have on your trivia team.
~~~
HAHA, I see what you did there!! Thank you, Kate! For more information about Kate and her books, visit:

Minder (Ganzfield, #1)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...