Monday, May 30, 2011

Author Interview: Tera Lynn Childs

Please give a warm welcome to the funny and super nice TLC-Tera Lynn Childs!
Hi, I’m Tera Lynn Childs and I write books for teens and other awesome people. My books have mythology (Oh. My. Gods. and Goddess Boot Camp and Sweet Venom) and mermaids (Forgive My Fins and Fins Are Forever) in them.      
3LB: Who or what inspired you to write? Do you have any role models?
My two inspirations would have to be my master’s thesis advisor who told me I was a very effective writer and brilliant historical romance author Julia Quinn. As for current authors whose writing I admire, I’d have to say Jaclyn Moriarty, Suzanne Collins, Ally Carter, and Susan Beth Pfeffer.
3LB: Create a haiku about your book, Forgive My Fins.
Is it sad that I had to look up the rules for a haiku? Okay, here goes:
Half-mermaid princess

Crush on Brody, bugged by Quince

A kiss gone awry
3LB: Do you have a dream cast for your book?
I don’t have a legitimate dream cast, because they are totally unsuitable as 
actors/for the roles, but I did have real people in mind when I wrote the book. For Lily, I had a very energetic picture of Shakira, with her crazy frizzy hair. For Brody, I pictured reality TV star Brody Jenner (whose name I totally stole for the character). And for Quince, I have a super-hot picture of Eric Dane (McSteamy from Grey’s Anatomy) on a motorcycle.
3LB: Are any of your characters or scenes based on people/events in your own life?
Everything and every character I write draws on real life experiences, to create a more realistic fiction world. But the one scene I tore directly from an actual event was the scene in Forgive My Fins in which Lily tells Quince she’s a mermaid. Not the confessing to being a magical creature bit, but the part where she points out the coquinas in the sand. When I was in Naples, Florida, where I got the idea for Forgive My Fins, I actually remember sitting on the beach and realizing that the shells don’t ride in on the waves, but burrow down into the sand. It really resonated with me, and it was perfect for the scene.
3LB: I gotta ask, do you have a book playlist? If so, how did these songs inspire your writing/book/characters?
With one exception (a book that I’m still working on) I don’t create book-specific playlists. I just create a playlist of music I’m into at the moment (it could be pop or showtunes or classics) and set it on shuffle. Right now I’m big on Adele and Florence and the Machine and deep, soulful music.
3LB: What’s next for you? What other books have you written?
The next mermaid book, Fins Are Forever, will be out this summer. Then, this fall, I’m starting a brand new trilogy about triplet monster-hunting descendants of Medusa. I like to call it Buffy meets mythology, with a little Parent Trap thrown in for fun. The first book, Sweet Venom, will be out September 6th.
3LB: If you had to live your life as an animal, what would you be?
Hmmm... I’ve always been fascinated by wolves, but I don’t think I could handle the tearing of raw flesh. Ew, vegan. At my core I’m a water baby, so I’d choose something in the ocean. A dolphin, maybe, if I could make the Caribbean my home.
3LB: What was your favorite book as a child?
I have three. From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg, The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder, and The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.

3LB: What other hobbies do you enjoy aside from reading and writing?
Web and graphic design is one of my favorite procrastination techniques. I do my own website and bookmarks and I actually enjoy the design process. I also love to travel—and, barring actual travel, I love to plan travel. I go in and out of phases where I like cooking and crafts.
3LB: What three people/characters would you love to meet? (They can be fictional, dead, or real and very much alive!)
  • Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice
  • Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games
  • Australian YA author Jaclyn Moriarty
3LB: Tell us five interesting things about yourself.
  1. I’m a stereotypical Virgo.
  2. My first three years of school were in French.
  3. I’ve lived in 21 places, 11 states, and 2 countries.
  4. I moved to New York City for college at 17.
  5. I love watching true crime, mystery and detective television.
~~~
Thank you, Tera Lynn! For more information about TLC and her books, visit:
Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...