Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: The Goddess Test (ARC)

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)The Goddess Test (ARC)

Series: Goddess Test, #1
Author: Aimee Carter
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA PNR
Features: Greek mythology, Persephone and Hades
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: April 19, 2011
Source: NetGalley

*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
If I haven't said so already, or if you haven't been paying attention, I love Greek mythology. Any book related to Greek mythology will instantly attract me, and this was no exception. 

The book started off rather depressing, but it wasn't in a way that made me want to throw the book (or my Kindle, since that's what it was on). It was a little mysterious too, what with Henry showing up at the door one day so he could take her away. Kate must have a huge conscience, because giving up half of your life for one girl you barely know/like is pretty, well, life-changing. 

As attractive as Henry was claimed to be, I didn't really fall in love with him as I usually do with the main love interests in novels. I guess because he was just so... secretive all the time. Or kind of aloof. Or maybe it was the fact that he's about a billion years old that was a turn off.

That didn't stop me from loving Kate and Henry together. Their romance was just so fragile and kind of heart-breaking. They seemed pretty perfect for each other.

Kate is a likable, relatable character. Even if I think she's (just a little) crazy for following Henry, she's still a typical teenage girl. I felt sad because she seemed so lonely, and happy when she got Henry for a friend.

The end. Wow, my jaw pretty much dropped. It was kind of scary, finding out who's who. Not really the good guys, but more the bad guys. 

Despite the shocking ending, I felt that the book was wrapped up really well, with a nice little bow. Finding out that there's going to be more books kind of confused me, because I really have no idea what's going to happen in Goddess Interrupted. I guess that could be a good thing. Surprise me, Aimee Carter. I've never felt this content with a book ending before...

Anyways, this book would be great for any fans of Greek mythology (of course) or just a romance. It kind of reminds me of East by Edith Pattou, a book I read a long time ago. The Goddess Test was pretty fast-paced, with interesting characters and some tingling romantic parts that I just couldn't get enough of. Aimee Carter has managed to create normal people out of the almighty Greek gods, and with it, a love story that it sure to capture the hearts of many.

Personal Thoughts (What I thought as a teen reader, not a reviewer)
What kind of a name is Henry? Not that this changed my opinion of the book at all, but I found it kind of amusing that a Greek god was named Henry. Henry reminds me of an short old man wearing a plaid collared shirt and glasses perched on his nose.

Beginning:

"How did it happen this time?"
     Henry tensed at the sound of her voice, and he tore his eyes away from the lifeless body on the bed long enough to look at her. Diana stood in the doorway, his best friend, his confidante, his family in every way except blood, but even her presence didn't help rein in his temper.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes/Excerpts: 
"I care," he said in a trembling voice. "I care so much that I do not know how to tell you without it seeming inconsequential compared to how I feel. Even if I am distant at times and seem as if I do not want to be with you, it is only because this scares me, too." 


"Maybe you'll win when hell freezes over."
He raised an eyebrow.
"That could be easily arranged."

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...