Saturday, June 11, 2011

Movie Review: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader


The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Directed by: Michael Apted
Written by: Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely
Starring: Ben Barnes, Skandar Keynes, Georgie Henley
Photobucket
Lucy and Edmund Pevensie return to Narnia with their cousin Eustace where they meet up with Prince Caspian for a trip across the sea aboard the royal ship The Dawn Treader. Along the way they encounter dragons, dwarves, merfolk, and a band of lost warriors before reaching the edge of the world.
I saw this movie in 2D, and I'm kind of glad I did. As usual, this Narnia movie was not lacking in gorgeous scenery, with sparkling blue water, lush green mountains, and rosy sunsets. But some of its graphics almost made me LOL, literally. That dragon looked about as real as a seven-year old boy's toy. And the fighting scene with the monster was just unreal. I was disappointed, because I heard that the graphics were (so far) the best in this one. 


Other than the visuals, there were ups and downs with the acting. Eustace Scrubb? I applaud thee, Will Poulter. Brilliance. Pure brilliance. Despite the fact that his character made me want to punch a few walls, he carried out his role perfectly. Which means the annoyance was pretty much a good thing. And Reepicheep. Oh, good old Reepicheep. He will always have a special place in my heart. The relationship between Eustace and Reep was hilarious, but also touching. They made a phenomenal pair. 


Sadly, though, I was a bit disappointed in the acting of Skandar and Georgie. It's obvious that they're growing up, but I found certain parts rather awkward. I enjoyed the cameo appearances of Anna Popplewell and William Moseley. It always made me sad to think that the elder Pevensie siblings wouldn't be returning to Narnia, and I was glad to see them again. 


Despite the fact that there were some ups and downs, I will continue to support this franchise because The Chronicles of Narnia books have been, and still remain my favorite novels of all time. I know that there is quite a love-hate relationship with books and movies, but I'm always glad to see books adapted into movies, because it provides a visual, no matter how different yours may have been. And even if I didn't enjoy it as a "book-movie," I most likely enjoyed it as a "movie-movie." Looking at the success of this movie, or frankly, lack thereof, I can only pray and hope that there will be another. I am looking forward to seeing a The Horse and His Boy movie, because that one's one of my favorites.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...