Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review: Angelfire

Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)Angelfire

Series: Angelfire, #1
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA PNR, UF
Features: Angels and demons
Publisher: HarperCollins/Katherine Tegan Books
Publication Date: February 15, 2011
Source: Purchased at book tour
Photobucket
This debut, the first novel in a trilogy, is achingly romantic, terrifying, and filled with blistering action. 
     When seventeen-year-old Ellie starts seeing reapers - monstrous creatures who devour humans and send their souls to Hell - she finds herself on the front lines of a supernatural war between archangels and the Fallen and faced with the possible destruction of her soul. 
     A mysterious boy named Will reveals she is the reincarnation of an ancient warrior, the only one capable of wielding swords of angelfire to fight the reapers, and he is an immortal sworn to protect her in battle. Now that Ellie's powers have been awakened, a powerful reaper called Bastian has come forward to challenge her. He has employed a fierce assassin to eliminate her - an assassin who has already killed her once. 
     While balancing her dwindling social life and reaper-hunting duties, she and Will discover Bastian is searching for a dormant creature believed to be a true soul reaper. Bastian plans to use this weapon to ignite the End of Days and to destroy Ellie's soul, ending her rebirth cycle forever. Now, she must face an army of Bastian's most frightening reapers, prevent the soul reaper from consuming her soul, and uncover the secrets of her past lives - including truths that may be too frightening to remember. 
Every single scene in this book was like this: BAM! When they say this book is filled with "blistering action," they weren't kidding. I swear, there's a reaper and a fight scene in every single chapter. Which I was fine with. I mean, I love action. There was one itsy, bitsy little issue. Ellie can't fight. No offense, girl. But every single time a bad guy shows up, she instantly loses both her swords like two seconds later and it's up to Will to stop the reaper from closing his jaws around her. Every. Single. Time. I know she's weak, and confused, and everything. After all, if I found out I was a reincarnation of some mighty warrior and was fated to be fighting and dying and coming back and fighting some more then yeah, I'd be a little wobbly in the knees. But she seems to have absolutely no skill unless she has one of those occasional I-AM-THE-PRELIATOR-FEAR-MY-POWERS moments and totally kicks the reaper's butt. Despite the many times she seems to beat Will while sparring, she always blanks in a real life situation. (Is this just my imagination?)


Breathe in, breathe out. I'm done ranting about Ellie's fighting skills. Or lack thereof. I mean, I liked her. Mostly. She was super funny, and probably has the potential to do some serious reaper damage. But she seemed a little weak and also, I didn't like the "normal human girl" side of her. Partying? Really? And she seems to spend a load of money. That didn't seem real to me. I mean, Kate, her BFFL, seems (extremely conveniently) unfazed by her best friend's constant absence. "Nope, nothing wrong. My friend just disappears in the middle of a party and comes back bloodied up and torn. No problem there." I did like Kate, though. She was a devoted friend (maybe a little clueless or just unworried), and probably somebody I could really like in real life. Ellie's dad is a completely different story. He is a total jerk. I predict that there is this huge reason why he is being the said jerk. Maybe he's being possessed. I don't know. But I really don't think his behavior is natural.


Okay, okay. I promise, I'm done ranting about our protag. It's time for my favorite and very swoon-worthy character. Oh, Will. *swoons* He's usually hidden under a I'm-your-guardian-and-therefore-you-are-my-responsibility-and-nothing-more shell, but sometimes, sometimes, his emotions poke out. And O.M.G. Every time that happens, my heart just breaks. Shatters. Into a million little pieces. He's so beautiful. (Picture a thousand little hearts floating around my head like those anime characters. With a lot of glitter.) His complete devotion to Ellie... my heart's breaking again.


The ending was... weird and sad. First off, I have a couple of unanswered questions. Namely surrounding Cadan. He's a confusing kid. Also, there's a little name/real identity thing that kind of makes me LOL because it's just plain weird. And then, there's the relationship issue. *sob* I want Ellie and Will together. Please. I want him to be happy. *sobs some more* I hate it when authors leave us hanging with things like these! Gaahhhhh.


Overall, I really enjoyed the story. Hilarious narration, good writing style, and of course, the perfect male hero. Fans of The Mortal Instruments or any angel-related novel would enjoy this one. It's fast-paced, action and romance filled, and also has some dark moments. Great debut from Courtney Allison Moulton. I absolutely cannot wait for Wings of the Wicked and more.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes/Excerpts:
"How was your day, Ellie Bean?" my mom asked, like she did every single time.
"I didn't die," I answered, as usual.
"Well, that's good news" was always her reply.


Will held up his hand. "I've changed my mind. I'll take a root bear float."
She flashed a quick smile and fluttered away.
"A root bear float?" I asked. "What are you, five?"
"They're my favorite."
"A root bear float?" I repeated. "You're six hundred years old and a root beer float is your favorite food?"
He shrugged. "You wanted me to be normal and order something, so I did."
"That is still weird."
"They're delicious."


"Please understand that no matter what I am or what has happened in the past, I am yours. I am devoted to you above all else, including my own life."
Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...