Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review: Fins Are Forever (ARC)

Fins Are Forever (Fins, #2)Fins Are Forever

Series: Fins, #2
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Fantasy
Features: Mermaids
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books
Publication Date: June 28, 2011
Source: Publisher for review
*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket

On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mergirl, true, but signing the renunciation will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being-human thing once and for all.
     Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, the waves start to get rough. Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?
     The seafoam on the raging surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up—Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her own dreams?
     Tera Lynn Childs’s sequel to Forgive My Fins offers another tail-flicking romance with plenty of fun, sun, and underwater adventure.
Once again Tera Lynn Childs has spun a flippin' fantastic story with her hilarious writing. This sequel to Forgive My Fins is a little more dramatic than the previous, with more romances and a lot more pressure on Lily to make the right decision. Her life seems to be falling apart as she struggles to keep her cousin out of trouble while studying for her SATs, which will probably determine her future on Earth.


Lily has grown a lot, and I'm glad to see that. She was still as funny as before, but she's learned to think things through. However, she's sometimes slow to make decisions, and that indecision aggravated me a bit. Just like the previous book, she's swimming around the issue  without really meeting it. 


Dosinia, Lily's cousin actually kind of amused me. She didn't make me want to tear my hair out like Lily probably did, but that might've been because Lily's snarky comments about her cousin kind of toned that down. Her cousin, though, does have some jaw dropping moments. Her actions are unbelievable, really. I can't say much else without giving the plot away.


While I do feel that Quince and Lily are perfect for each, I was sad that Quince wasn't present in the book as much. In the first book he obviously showed his love to Lily, but in this one, he just acted like the typical we're-together-now-so-I'm-safe boyfriend not the Lily-Sanderson-I-love-you-that's-why-I-kissed-you-and-I'll-do-anything-for-you boyfriend. I suppose if I read this book right after the first I would still be in love with Quince and everything, but time has passed and that feeling faded before I read this book, so I was just disappointed with Quince this time around. 


This is another wonderful story from Tera Lynn Childs that combines humor, romance, and the seemingly fate of the entire human world all into one. It's a light, fun read that's perfect for the beach or any summery day. Fans of fantasy or contemporary alike will enjoy it.

First Line/First Paragraph/Beginning Excerpt:

At the moment I am sole heir to the throne of Thalassinia, one of the most prosperous underwater kingdoms in the world. I am a princess without equal in most of the seven seas, or any other body of water, for that matter. Raised to all the duties that my title requires and prepared to be my kingdom's future queen, I am respected, revered, and really, really loved by (most of) the people.
     A mermaid and a princess, all wrapped into one. Talk about every little human girl's dream.
     But come my eighteenth birthday in eighteen days-not that I'm counting-I'll be just a girl. Well, still a mer girl, true, but an average mer girl just the same.

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...