Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Review: Overprotected

OverprotectedOverprotected

Series: N/A
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Publication Date: April 29, 2011
Source: Author
Photobucket
Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City. 
Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard. 
Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector. 
Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever. 
Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin. 
Daddy was wrong.
When I first picked up this book, I kind of expected a fluffy, sweet, cotton candy-like book that was basically a secret romance between two lovers and then ends up with the father finally giving into true love, blah blah and blah. But it wasn't. There was so much more darkness. With suicide, divorce, kidnappings, and stalkers, this book is pretty much a teenager's nightmare. 

The writing style was simple, but I was able to enjoy the book through Ashlyn's eyes. She was definitely relatable, and a likable character. I found myself wanting to scream in frustration along with her every time her parents pulled the we're-the-parents-and-therefore-we-decide-everything card. Don't you just hate it when they do that? 

I found myself a little bored in the beginning, and also getting kind of annoyed at Ashlyn's actions. Sure, I have considerably more freedom than her, but I don't spend it by going to clubs and dancing. Then again, she was desperate and wanted her parents to notice her, and I understood that. I didn't quite get how she got over Colin so easily, though, since she claimed that she hated him but then suddenly didn't because she was strangely attracted to him. 

Speaking of Colin, he was my favorite character. I enjoyed the chemistry between Colin and Ashlyn, even if they couldn't really be together. I thought it was awkward at first when it was just Ashlyn openly displaying her feelings, but we could assume that he just had more self-control. He was protective, sweet, and the perfect shelter for Ashlyn.

The ending of the novel had a lot of shockers. It was hit after hit, and you couldn't stop reading until you finished the last page. Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and believe fans of contemporary romance will enjoy it greatly. This is the first of Laurens' novels that I've read, and I can't wait to read what else she has in store for us.

Beginning Excerpt:

I saw him and my heart started racing.
Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...