Monday, June 6, 2011

Review: Personal Demons

Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)Personal Demons

Series: Personal Demons, #1
Author: Lisa Desrochers
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA PNR, UF
Features: Angels, demons, Heaven and Hell
Publisher: Tor Teen
Publication Date: September 14, 2010
Source: Purchased from Amazon
Photobucket
Frannie Cavanaugh is a good Catholic girl with a bit of a wicked streak. She has spent years keeping everyone at a distance—-even her closest friends—-and it seems as if her senior year is going to be more of the same . . . until Luc Cain enrolls in her class. No one knows where he came from, but Frannie can’t seem to stay away from him.
      What she doesn’t know is that Luc is on a mission. He’s been sent from Hell itself to claim Frannie’s soul. It should be easy—-all he has to do is get her to sin, and Luc is as tempting as they come. Frannie doesn’t stand a chance. But he has to work fast, because if the infernals are after her, the celestials can’t be far behind. And sure enough, it’s not long before the angel Gabriel shows up, willing to do anything to keep Luc from getting what he came for. It isn’t long before they find themselves fighting for more than just Frannie’s soul.
     But if Luc fails, there will be Hell to pay . . . for all of them.
When I first heard about this book, there was such a huge amount of hype that I felt I just couldn't not read it. I mean, all those Tweets, and the super awesome Lisa Desrochers having great giveaways and posting even better teasers? I mean, those teasers caught me. I just felt like this would be a really, really good book. And I tried to like it. It might have been because I had too high expectations, but excuses or not, this book kind of fell for me.


One thing Desrochers does not fail at is creating swoon-worthy characters. Luc? Oh, yeah. Swoon-worthy indeed. And his character was just so interesting. He was troubled, emotional, deep. I loved reading the story from his point of view. I guess it was enough to balance out Frannie's narration and kept me from throwing the book at the wall (which I will never actually do). 


Frannie started out as somebody I thought I would like, but as the book went along, I found myself getting a little annoyed with her. Her dialogue and thoughts, were first of all, kind of annoying. I should have gotten the clue when she went a little like this: "Mmm... nothing like a little eye candy in the morning to get the day off to a sweet start-and possibly rot my brain. And, bonus. Apparently we're gonna be essay partners, 'cause obsessive-compulsive Mr. Snyder is having me move down a seat to make room for him. God forbid we should ever be out of alphabetical order." Her actions annoy me, too. Sometimes it made me feel like she was born to the wrong family. I mean, does she even care about the rest of them? She was too carefree for me. You know how it said in the blurb "a good Catholic girl?" I never would've guessed. Taylor, her "best friend," was somebody that I would not consider my best friend at all. She seemed more like her archenemy as far as I could tell. I had to resist the urge to slap Taylor, and maybe even Frannie.


I felt like the novel was too predictable and cliche, especially with the love triangle. I suppose most readers would choose heaven from the start, but I've read enough YA to know that the girl will probably go with the dark and dangerous guy. And the love triangle just totally confused me. There was no romantic build up at all between Frannie and Luc or Frannie and Gabe. It just happened. It didn't feel real, and of course, Frannie's obsession with them both annoyed me. Luc is a demon from Hell. A many-centuries-old demon from Hell. And yet, he meets one girl and suddenly turns into a goody-two-shoes. A little confusing...


Whereas it seems like Desrochers was probably taught how to write properly, I just couldn't get really into the novel because it seemed kind of repetitive, not flowing. It was only during Luc's narration (meaning only about half that book) that I could feel more into it.


Despite its falls with me, Lisa Desrochers has created a good story- just not a super amazing one that'll stick with me forever. I do have high hopes for Original Sin, however. I'm really loving all those teases that she's giving us, and I'm willing to give the Personal Demons series a second chance, even if Hell doesn't do that.


Favorite/Teaser Quotes/Excerpts: 
Gabriel. 
This has to be his fault, somehow. I'm going to track him down, pluck out his angel feathers, and stuff a pillow with them.



"Sii la mia schiava d’amore,” I purr.
Her expression is guarded. “What did you say?”
An amused smile pulls at my lips. “I’ll never tell.” Somehow, I don’t think she’d agree to be my love slave anyway.



I walk up right behind Frannie, where she’s sitting near the door, in time to hear her say, “You know what, Tay? Go to Hell,” and I smile, because I think it’s cute that she’s inviting her friends along.
Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...