Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Review: Sisterhood Everlasting

Sisterhood Everlasting (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #5)Sisterhood Everlasting

Series: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, #5
Author: Ann Brashares
Reading Level and Genre(s): Adult Chick Lit
Publisher: Random House
Publication Date: June 14, 2011
Source: Publisher for review
Photobucket
*Note: iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books typically only reviews YA novels, but because this adult book is part of an-otherwise YA series, it has been reviewed. Readers are warned that there is language and sexual context that may not be appropriate for younger readers.
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting. 
     Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness. 
     Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected. 
     As moving and life-changing as an encounter with long-lost best friends, Sisterhood Everlasting is a powerful story about growing up, losing your way, and finding the courage to create a new one.
Right after I finished reading this (at 3am, by the way - one sitting), I put it down and was like "This is going to be hard to review." In a good way. Ann Brashares has written another Sisterhood novel, but this one is so different from the first four novels. And yet it's all tied in. The girls from the Sisterhood truly have grown up. They're not teenage girls discovering young love and deciding their futures. They're grown women, trying to make a living for themselves and settling down.


As the blurb hinted, this book is supposed to throw a curveball that changes everybody's lives in the novel. What I did not expect was that curveball to come, wrench out my heart, and stomp it into the ground. You are definitely going to need a box of tissues while reading this. Life isn't easy. Not everything runs perfectly, and you will have many, many obstacles. This book shows the journey of some young women who must get over a very large one. And it's difficult. You can read the pain, the numbness, the depression. But you can't put it down.


I finished reading the fourth Sisterhood book, sad that I was now saying goodbye to these lovely ladies that I had gotten to know quite well. After reading this book, I once again had to go through the process of saying goodbye. Because this is probably the last one. And now that I think about it, I'm okay with that. The fourth book kind of made me want more, even though it was the obvious end. But with this one, I'm satisfied and I think I can go on without wondering what's going on with my dear Carmen, Bridget, Lena, and Tibby. 


Since this is a multiple point of view novel, I find myself more interested toward some subplots rather than others. In this case, as it always seemed to have been with this series, it was Lena's. I think mostly because of Kostos. I just wanted to see them together so bad, and it made me scream every time Lena doubted his love her, when it was so obviously there. And Carmen. I wanted to throw the book at the wall with my frustration for Carmen. Once again she's a blind girl who's basically being controlled by others and her fear of what others think about her. Never what she thinks for herself. Bee was the one that kind of made me wonder where exactly she was going with her life. She had no plan, no ideas. She was just running around, never caring. Maybe because the world is round and you can't fall off, so she just doesn't really mind. As long as she can keep running. And Tibby. Tibby was always my favorite. She seemed the most thoughtful, the most caring. First with little Bailey in the first book, then with Ryan and Carmen's mother in the fourth... she's always there for you.


I'm sad to see the Sisterhood finally come to an end, but I'm glad that I've had this chance to have a final goodbye. This is a beautiful, beautiful story about life, love, and friendship that everybody should read. The journey with these four women may have ended, but their stories, fictional or not, will inspire me for years to come.


Live. Laugh. Love.

Favorite/Teaser Quotes/Excerpts:
"If you are not too long, I will wait here for you all my life." -Oscar Wilde
"A whole stack of memories never equals one little hope." -Charles M. Schulz
"You have to be someone." -Bob Marley
"If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do all the rest have to drown too?" -Steven Wright
"We are masters of unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." -Winston Churchill
"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." -J.D. Salinger
"Not knowing when the dawn will come I open every door." -Emily Dickinson
"'You have been my friend,' replied Charlotte. 'That in itself is a tremendous thing.'" -E.B. White
Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...