Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review: Starcrossed (ARC)

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)Starcrossed

Series: Starcrossed, #1
Author: Josephine Angelini
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA PNR
Features: Greek mythology
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 31, 2011
Source: Traded with friend
*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket
How do you defy destiny?
     Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
     As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.
I first saw this cover, and I was like "I have to get this book." I mean, a gorgeous cover like this one is incentive enough to purchase the book to look pretty on one's shelf. Yes, major "judging a book by its cover" going on here.


The good thing is, the insides of the book are just as good as the outside. I am a huge fan of Greek mythology, and Angelini has created a wonderful story with an overall good plot and enjoyable characters. However, I found myself comparing this book to Twilight quite a few times. I mean, boy-watching-girl-while-sleeping, super-large-and-tight-family, beautiful-and-perfect-family, family-that's-different-from-the-rest-of-its-kind... Only in this case, it's not vegetarian vampires we're talking about. It's people descended from di Immortales


I think the part that stood out was Ms. Angelini's fantastic writing. It flowed really well, and the pacing was good. Not too fast, not too slow. It felt kind of dreamy, but in a good way. However certain parts of this novel were what I would call "predictable." I kind of knew what would happen from the beginning. There were a few unexpected curveballs thrown at us, though, that made me want to scream at the book.


The one thing I didn't like as much was the female protagonist, Helen. I felt like she was too weak-minded, even if she had all those super powers. It kind of felt wasted on her. I hope she learns to grow emotionally and physically, and is trained to fight villains rather than shying away. I did enjoy Lucas's large family (even if I did just make fun of them). It felt homey, and I was comfortable with it. It was actually quite relatable. If you have about a million relatives living in your house at one time, that is. I also loved Jerry and Kate, the adults in Helen's life. Jerry kind of made me sad, so I really hope he gets the happiness he deserves. And there's Claire. Claire is soooo great! She's definitely somebody you want as a best friend.


Even though I loved the family living in Lucas's house, I found the rest of the distant relatives rather confusing. There were so many of them. There were also a lot of rules and stories related to the Greek mythology in this book, and I couldn't always wrap my mind around it. It was the rules that made me angry at this book. Helen and Lucas seem pretty perfect for each other. But the gods keep them separate. Sadface. The story didn't end happily, so I'm really hoping that the next novel will be happier, or at least shine some light on a couple unanswered questions.


One topic left unaddressed? Lucas. Swoon worthy? Oh, definitely. Although he sometimes seemed a little too perfect, and in the end I was a little aggravated with the whole Helen-and-Lucas-can't-be-together-thing and they way they handled it. They need to figure out their issues.


This story provides an emotional run that will keep you reading and reading... it's addicting. Fans of Greek mythology should definitely read this one!

Favorite/Teaser Quotes/Excerpts:
"I don’t care how hard being together is, nothing is worse than being apart."


She decided that if Lucas was gay then she was going to have to get a sex change operation. He would be so worth it.


"Get this. So he comes up to me at lunch, right? And he starts asking me all these questions about you. Like, how long have I known you, where are you from, did I ever meet your mom before she skipped town..."
"My mom? That's weird," Helen interrupted.
"And I start answering him with my usual flair for clever repartee," Claire said, a bit too innocently.
"Translation: you insulted him."
Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...