Sunday, August 21, 2011

Author Interview: Ciye Cho

Please give a warm welcome to the author of Shiewo: A Fantasy Flight to Adventure, Ciye Cho!
Hi there. My name is Ciye, and I write fantasy novels for young adults. I live in Australia. I’m a chronic daydreamer. What else can I say? I like to create illustrations and music too.
3LB: Who or what inspired you to write? Do you have any role models, whether in writing or life in general?
My parents. They’ve always supported me through every crazy idea and dream. 
3LB: Let’s start by introducing your novel to the readers. Create a haiku poem about Shiewo.
A quest for wishes

Aboard a dream odyssey

Way up in the sky
3LB: Your story combines music, flying, and even some Asian cultural references. What influenced you and made you choose to use these elements in your story?
I’ve always wanted to write a story about a flying ship. I love the idea of traveling somewhere with everything you need in this souped-up floating vessel: all your possessions, supplies, and a zany crew to see you through any adventure. Beyond this, I tried my best to bring together ideas and details which I hadn’t seen before in fantasy tales. I don’t know how well I’ve suceeded, but I really wanted to try to present something fresh.
3LB: What did you find was the most difficult part of the writing process?
Rewrites.
3LB: I feel that names hold meaning and importance to characters. How do you come up with or decide on the names for your characters? Do they hold meaning? 
I tend to go for names that are short, simple, and a little quirky: “Shiewo” was a name that came about via some random typing; “Erduu” seemed like the perfect 
name for a wise bamboo; and “Livingston” seemed like a funny choice for such a surly goldfish. I agree that names shape and define characters (both in fiction and real-life), so every name had to sound and feel just right.
3LB: What plans do you have for the future?
I plan on writing the next book in the Shiewo series. But in the meantime, I’m focused on finding as many readers as I can.
3LB: Do you have a favorite mythical creature?
The Pegasus from Greek mythology gets big points in my book.
3LB: Finish this sentence "I can't live without..."
My imagination.
3LB: If you had to recommend just one book to me, which would you recommend?
“The Little Prince” by Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry. (I hope you’ll read it again if you’ve read it.)
3LB: What three people/characters would you love to meet? (They can be fictional, dead, or real and very much alive!)
Bjork, Mister Mistoffelees, and Leeloo from the Fifth Element.
3LB: Tell us five interesting things about yourself.
  1. I don’t speak spanish, but my favorite saying is “Vaya con Dios.”
  2. I get ocular migraines when I don’t get enough oxygen.
  3. I love anagrams (and I feel like an archaeologist at a dig-site every time I discover one).
  4. I eat 2-4 open-top peanut butter sandwiches every day.
  5. My mother once contemplated calling me Gawain. Yes, Gawain from the legend of King Arthur.
~~~
Thank you, Ciye! For more information about Mr. Cho and his books, visit:
Purchase Shiewo: A Fantasy Flight to Adventure, available now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...