Friday, August 19, 2011

Mini Reviews: Three Movies That Begin with T

We spent a lot of my birthday watching movies, and rented a few from Redbox. It was by coincidence that they all started with T. I had no intention of doing this.
True Grit
Directed by: Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
Written by: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Hailee Steinfeld

Fourteen-year-old Mattie Ross's father has been shot in cold blood by the coward Tom Chaney, and she is determined to bring him to justice. Enlisting the help of a trigger-happy, drunken U.S. Marshal Rooster Cogburn, she sets out with him -- over his objections -- to hunt down Chaney. Her father's blood demands that she pursue the criminal into Indian territory and find him before a Texas Ranger named LeBoeuf catches him and brings him back to Texas for the murder of another man.
I'd heard from a lot of people that this movie was really good, and after seeing all of its award nominations, I was hoping for a slightly better movie than this one. Or maybe it's simply because I've never really watched a Wild West-ish movie. But this one felt like it had absolutely no plot. After watching, my friends and I just kind of stared at each other and went "What?" It felt like nothing had happened in that span of 130 minutes. However, I felt like the acting was very good. Hailee Steinfeld did a very good job, and I enjoyed watching Mattie use her sharp tongue. For a fourteen-year-old, she's very tough. There was also a considerable amount gore, but nothing too bad, even for my sensitive eyes and brain. (Haha.) I give it three stars, for an okay movie without any lasting impressions.
TRON: Legacy
Directed by: Joseph Kosinski
Written by: Edward Kitsis, Adam Horowitz
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde

Sam Flynn, a rebellious 27-year-old, is haunted by the mysterious disappearance of his father Kevin Flynn, a man once known as the world's leading video-game developer. When Sam investigates a strange signal sent from the old Flynn's Arcade -- a signal that could only come from his father -- he finds himself pulled into a digital world where Kevin has been trapped for 20 years. With the help of the fearless warrior Quorra, father and son embark on a life-and-death journey across a visually-stunning cyber universe -- a universe created by Kevin himself that has become far more advanced with never-before-imagined vehicles, weapons, landscapes and a ruthless villain who will stop at nothing to prevent their escape.
I enjoyed this one more than True Grit, even if all the computer talk made my head spin. I've always loved Disney, even though it hasn't been doing very well recently. (Especially with Disney Channel. If your main character leaves, you can't continue the show. *coughDemiLovatocough*) (Also, the Miley Cyrus thing.) (And the jokes are kind of getting old.) I have to admit, the graphics were pretty cool with this one. All the lights and stuff made it look super awesome, although the thought of having no sky really depresses me. I guess it never really hit me until I saw that black ceiling. The plot was pretty cliche and predictable (Ohmigosh. A "good guy" turned bad for power? Never heard of that before. Or the not-so-dependable servant who just wants to survive. "May the best side win. And whatever that is, I'll join that one.") Also, when I saw the Castor guy, he looked so familiar it bothered me, but I just couldn't remember who he was. Then I Googled him. OH. Aro from Twilight! That's what he's from. He looked almost exactly like he did in Twilight, especially with the hair. He just had more eye shadow on and was more lively in TRON. (Seriously. He was weird lively.) I give this one a four stars out of five for good, and I'm willing to watch it again.
Tangled
Directed by: Nathan Greno, Byron Howard
Written by: The Grimm brothers, Dan Fogelman
Starring: Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi, Donna Murphy

When the kingdom's most wanted -- and most charming -- bandit Flynn Rider hides out in a mysterious tower, he's taken hostage by Rapunzel, a beautiful and feisty tower-bound teen with 70 feet of magical, golden hair. Flynn's curious captor, who's looking for her ticket out of the tower where she's been locked away for years, strikes a deal with the handsome thief and the unlikely duo sets off on an action-packed escapade, complete with a super-cop horse, an over-protective chameleon and a gruff gang of pub thugs.
First off, I thought it was really cool that they gave credit to the Grimm brothers for writing this movie. I mean, I guess it's kind of to be expected, but since they're all long gone and dead... Second, this was actually a re-watch, and I loved it just as much the second time. This movie is really, really good. It's funny, it's adventurous, it's romantic. The music is also really good. Eugene Fitzherbert is so great. The smolder? And frying pans. And Pascal the chameleon. And Maximus the horse. The animals are all hilarious in this film. This is a superb family film that everybody will love, and I will watch it over and over again. Five stars. There's nothing more to say.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...