Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Later...

I didn't remember much about what happened on September 11, 2001. Honestly, what do you expect me to remember? I was five years old. I just have the one memory about us girls in the bathroom, talking about how a big plane flew into a tall building in New York. So really, the event has not impacted me so much. We had just moved to the United States, and I bet it freaked out my parents. Not like I would know back then.
Last February, my family and I went to New York for Spring Break vacation. We walked past the building of the new World Trade Center as we were heading to the New Jersey subway. Quite a bit of it was done, and just seeing it made me proud of this country, and how we will always remain standing. (Also, I learned just last week that the building's going to be 1,776 feet tall. Pretty cool.)
What matters to me about this event is the joining of hands, and the love and patriotism that everybody displays on this day in remembrance of what happened on 9/11. Just watching all these other families, mourning, but staying strong even though they lost a love one... it moves me to tears. It's on days like these that I truly feel like we're a nation.
Someone posted on Facebook, and I don't remember exactly what she said, but it was something along the lines of "25,000 people (mostly children) die every day from starvation, disease, and poverty,"  and what really matters is that we don't just remember this day, but we remember all the days. You never know which one could be your last, so treasure each and every one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...