Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: The Iron Knight (ARC)


The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4)The Iron Knight

Standalone or Series: Iron Fey, #4
Author: Julie Kagawa
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Paranormal Romance
Features: Faeries
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: October 18, 2011
Source: NetGalley
*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket
Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing. 


Unless he can earn a soul. 


To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought. 


Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive. 


With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side. 


To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale. 


And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
I know. That's a ridiculously long synopsis. But hey, it's really good, just like this series.


So the end of The Iron Queen went a little like this: Reading... reading... reading... OHMIGOSH NO!!!!.... THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!... I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT!!... MY HEART! OH, THE PAIN!... *breaks down sobbing* I felt my heart torn out and ruthlessly stomped on by Ms. Kagawa, over and over. Not that she's a mean person. But the book absolutely broke my heart. If I knew that the entire series would've ended like that, I never would have read it.


I would like to thank Ms. Kagawa for saving my sanity and mending my heart by writing this novel, because I felt like I could never happily live another day.


...Moving on to the actual review part. So the beginning gave you a little punch-in-the-stomach kind of curve-ball that was a little predictable if you thought about it, but it still made me go WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NOW?? and really want to skip ahead. Thankfully I was reading on my Kindle, so it would be really hard to skip. (You can probably guess what happened with all the Harry Potter books. I regretted it every single time.)


The book focuses on Ash's viewpoint and we get to learn more about his background. As fascinating as I found it, I decided that the book overall did not beat The Iron Queen. It was all about Ash and his hunt for a soul, which was basically a bunch of fighting, riddles, fighting, obstacles, fighting, challenges, fighting, and more fighting. With the occasional awkward Ash and Puck blow-out thrown in.


The ending left me feeling very satisfied, but I still cried. With happiness, I guess. According to my notes, I cried three times, but it's been a while since I read this book (a month or so), so I don't remember when I cried. Not that I really want to go into detail...


This book is not lacking at all in the epic fighting, witty remarks, and heart-tugging emotions that are now trademark of Ms. Kagawa's writing. You will eat it up like it's a Prince Ash, if Winter Fey were edible.


I'm super excited for the companion series to this one, which will be about Ethan, Meghan's brother. How awesomely exciting is that? And once again, I must thank Julie Kagawa for writing such a wonderful, wonderful series. If you have not read this one yet, you are seriously missing out. And thanks specifically for writing The Iron Knight (Yes, again, because that's how grateful I am) because I am the happily-ever-after type of person, not a heroine-sacrifice-for-the-world type of person.


And with that, I leave with two questions: One, who is Puck going to end up with? And second, have you pre-ordered this book yet?

First Line: "Oy, ice-boy! You sure you know where you're going?"

Quotes/Excerpts: 
(I also did a Teaser Tuesday on this!)


My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl. 


"Be careful, boy. In some tales, the hero gets eaten by the monster after all." 


"Crazy Ash just doesn't have the same ring as Don't-bother-me-or-I'll-kill-you Ash."


Do not be deceived by the the politeness of the fey. Fey are almost always polite. This does not mean they will not happily remove your head.


"Working for Mab now, are you, Wolfman?" he smirked. "Like a good little attack dog? Will you also roll over and beg if she asks?" 


I glanced at Puck. "You take one, I'll get the other?"
"You're on Ice-boy." 
Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...