Monday, September 12, 2011

Review: Jessica Rules the Dark Side (ARC)


Jessica Rules the Dark Side (Jessica, #2)Jessica Rules the Dark Side

Standalone or Series: Jessica, #2
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA PNR
Features: Vampires
Publisher: Harcourt
Publication Date: January 9, 2012
Source: ALA Convention
*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket
It’s one thing to find out you’re a vampire princess. It’s a whole other thing to actually rule. Newly married Jessica Packwood is having a hard enough time feeling regal with her husband, Lucius, at her side. But when evidence in the murder of a powerful elder points to Lucius, sending him into solitary confinement, Jessica is suddenly on her own.
     Determined to clear her husband’s name, Jessica launches into a full-scale investigation, but hallucinations and nightmares of betrayal keep getting in her way. Jessica knows that with no blood to drink, Lucius’s time is running out. Can she figure out who the real killer is—and whom she can trust—before it’s too late?
I finished book one and it left me thirsting (See what I did there?) for more Jessica and Lucius yumminess. (Guys, he's super romantic.) If you have not read it yet, check out my review on the first book, Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side. Thankfully, I had book two right there, so I almost immediately started reading that one. And boy, I'm glad I did.


Jessica was a very strong feminine (no, that is not an oxymoron) character in the first book, but in this one she was very overwhelmed with the royalty and everything. I wanted to step into the book and slap her with a "Tough up, girl!" to get her focused. But then I might get eaten by her bodyguards. Oops.


This story switches between many POVs, and I enjoyed reading them all. The male POVs (Lucius's and Raniero's) are very amusing. Ms. Fantaskey's writing has always had some great humor, and this book isn't short of some LOLs, either. I found Mindy's preppy girl talk kind of annoying at first, but you eventually warm up to her, especially in the end. (Hey, Beth! Can we have a Mindy book? Please?)


This book is so much more intense than the first. There's the rush to save Lucius's life, the thrill and mystery... I just couldn't decide who to trust! It was exciting and dark.


I'm really glad Jess (eventually) wizened up in this book. She was able to grow up from a typical American farm girl to a royal vampire princess! Talk about a huge change. She faced many, many difficult challenges and passed them with flying colors. 


I enjoyed this book a lot, and I would even dare to say more than the first. This series has pretty much concluded (unless Ms. Fantaskey decides to write that Mindy book, hint hint...) and I was very satisfied at the end. However, I would not complain if there was more. If you have not read this series yet, then you definitely should if you're a paranormal romance lover.

First Line:
"Mother?"
The snow swirls around her, and she stands with her back to me, her body enveloped in a bright red cloak.

Quotes/Excerpts:
"What's with the weird number?"
     "I do not know whose phone this is," he said. "I am walking past a beach towel, I see a phone, I think of you, and I call."
     I thought I heard him wrong-he was always messing up English, so past and present were just a big jumble-and I sat up in bed. "What? That's, like, stealing!"
     "Not stealing," he said, like I was crazy. "I am borrowing. Just as I allow others to borrow from me. There is too much worry about who owns what in the world. But if it makes you feel better, I will leave the mango I have just purchased for dinner on the towel."

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...