Thursday, January 12, 2012

Boy's Can Read, Too.

Dear Few and Far Between Male Readers of this Blog,


I have a somewhat shocking announcement to make to you:
You can read.
Now, some of you are probably shaking your heads, trying to decide if I'm attempting to be a jokester, crazy, stupid, or a mix of all three. Some of you might be saying "Well, duh, how else would I be understanding this post right here?" (smart-aleck that you are) and others may be saying "Yeah, sure, but I don't like to." (Of course, if you are thinking that, I'm wondering why/how you're reading this post.)


But AHA! There we go. You don't like to read. The NYT has written an article about boys and why they don't like to read. I didn't read all of it; articles bore me, and I'm not a boy, nor do I have a child who is male, so I don't particularly care about the details. (I don't have a female kid either, for that matter. I'm a high schooler. But anyways.)


If men can write (and I'm about to introduce to you some very good writers in a few moments), then why can't they read?


Why am I writing this post? Well, the point of this blog is to encourage people to read. To recommend books for people's enjoyment. And today I am targeting the less receptive demographic and proving to them that there are books for boys, just as there are books for girls. (Of course, nothing is proven unless you actually read them.)


I asked a few of my guy friends for recommendations, and this is what they came up with:
Animal Farm by George Orwell (1945)
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (2001)
The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud (2003)
*The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (1306)
*East of Eden by John Steinbeck (1952)
*The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (1943)
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (1997)
Hatchet series by Gary Paulsen (1987)
Lord of the Flies by William Golding (1954)
*Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (1997)
*Robert Langdon series by Dan Brown (2000)
*Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (1969)
*Shakespeare ("Especially Sonnets")
World War Z by Max Brooks (2006)
*A more challenging read for high school/college students, or a book with adult material.


In addition to that, here is a list of books that I enjoyed, that I also think boys will enjoy.
The Outsiders book.jpgAlex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz (2000)
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (1951)
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (1948)
Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull (2006)
The HobbitThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (1937)
The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins (2008)
The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (2003)
Maximum Ride series by James Patterson (2005)
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli (1990)
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (1967)
The Pendragon Adventure by D.J. MacHale (2002)
Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan (2005)
Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan (2004)
So, there you have it! I would love it if any of you boys will comment below and tell me how much you actually love reading and how wrong that article is. Because I hope that that's truly the case!


And if you're a girl reading this, you're welcome to help yourself to that list of books. I mean, I enjoyed them, and I'm a girl.


Happy Reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...