Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)

Standalone or Series: Standalone
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Contemporary Romance, Humor
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: January 11, 2011
Source: Purchased (eBook)
Buy it! (Currently $0.99 as an eBook!) Amazon|Barnes and Noble|The Book Depository
Photobucket
2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.


If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.


In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.
This book is something like your typical coming-of-age where a girl explores her life and tries to find her meaning in it. Also, she wants to feel grown up and when given the opportunity to do so, really takes advantage of it. And I mean really. This book is so heavy in drinking and sex and the like, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be humorous or taken as a warning. Since I have the convenience of a Kindle, I will now count how many times the word "sex" is used, simply because I'm curious. 113. *whistles*


I found this book really funny. Dean was hilarious. Dean and Vi together were even more hilarious. Vi was an interesting character. She had an impressive GPA and was an amazing student, but managed to be a party animal at the same time. It was... kind of weird. I guess it's always nice when somebody goes against the stereotype. (Honestly, I want to know how she had the time. I'm always up to my chin in homework. And that's when I'm standing.)


I had an issue with April. She might've been funny, but her voice was immature and she whined like a middle schooler sometimes. Her parents trust her and give her this huge ticket to freedom, and she takes advantage of it like no other. And in the end, she gets away with it. What is the message behind this story? She annoyed me and made stupid decisions. She was given many signs from Noah. Pretty obvious signs, I would say, about how he was no longer that interested in her. While reading, I'd be telling her to break things off. But then later he'd be the one that didn't partake in the partying or drinking, and I had to respect him. Because underage drinking is baaaad. So he was confusing. And Lucy was creepy. Really creepy. How did she manage to know everything that April and Vi were doing? Ew. I wish there was more Hudson in the story, but I guess I saw enough of him to like him enough.


I liked the author's writing style, with her way of breaking up each chapter into sections with quirky titles. The book bounced between the happy but awkward story of a girl growing up, and the sad, angry tale of a girl who had been wronged by her parents and was struggling to learn how to not be like them. There were a lot of flashbacks, and the timeline was all kinds of messed up, but you could easily follow it and the flashbacks enhanced the story.


Overall, this was a story that I enjoyed, but didn't particularly stand out in a fantastic way to me. It also contained a lot of bad images and messages that I wasn't sure how to take. Anyhow, I may be taking this too seriously. It's a funny book, and it falls under the category of chick lit fluff that we all (whether publicly or not) love.

First Line:

I bolted awake. A siren.

Quotes/Excerpts:
"You're late," the school secretary said, handing all four of us tardy slips.
"Doreen, we apologize profusely," Dean said, nodding solemnly.
"It was my fault," I said. "Car died."
"The funeral will be after school," Dean added. "It would mean a lot to all of us if you could make it."

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...