Monday, February 27, 2012

Review: Cross My Heart

Cross My HeartCross My Heart

Standalone or Series: Standalone
Author: Katie Klein
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Romance
Publication Date: March 14, 2011
Source: Purchased
Photobucket
True love can blossom in unexpected places. This is Jaden pretending not to notice. . . .

Jaden McEntyre and Parker Whalen are a wrong fit from the start. Jaden is driven and focused, Harvard Med School within reach. Parker has a past-a reputation-and the rumors about his mysterious habits abound. So there's no reason why, when they're assigned to work together on a project in English, they should discover they have anything in common, or even like each other, and they definitely shouldn't be falling in love.

As they bond over Edith Wharton's tragic novella, Ethan Frome, the "bad boy" vibe Parker plays begins to dissipate. Soon, Jaden finds herself shedding her own "good girl" image: sneaking around to be with him, confiding in him, and ultimately falling hard for this leather-wearing, motorcycle-driving loner who plays into the rebel stereotype.

Still, Jaden can't shake the feeling that there's more to Parker than he's letting on. He's hiding something from her, and discovering the truth means reconciling the Parker she's grown to love with the person he really is. Because it's possible that his life inside the classroom-everything Jaden knows-is one, massive lie.
After reading a smashing review about this book from Confessions of a Bookaholic, I had to pick it up. Usually I'm not that easily convinced, but I must've been really tired or something.

Anyways. I really enjoyed this book. It was very well written, and there was a twist in the end that was pretty surprising and kind of cool. I couldn't sympathize with Jaden. She was... too much like me. It was kind of weird. But she was funny and really smart. I just wish there was more focus on her friends in this book. Plus, the book had some parts where it's obvious something's happening that the character in the book does not understand it happening. Which makes you want to bang your head on the wall. She constantly had these thoughts of "he smelled so good" and "I felt myself leaning towards him..." Okay, hon, that's usually a sign of attraction. Just saying.

I did, however, like reading about how Jaden changed. She grew into a more real and believable character. The entire time, I felt like the author was emphasizing the fact that nobody is perfect. Jaden lives in a drafty, leaky, old house. Her "perfect" boyfriend isn't, well, as perfect as you might think. It's a good message. :)

There are many references to other novels in this one, because both Jaden and Parker are bookworms. (Another plus.) Thanks to Ms. Klein, I went ahead and got Wuthering Heights for my Kindle. I hope to tackle it soon.

Parker was amazing. Why are authors just so... amazing at creating ultimate boy characters? I wish they have the ability to make them real, too. Parker is dark, mysterious, and lonely. But really, he's a brilliant student with a troubled past. Or is he more than he looks? Yep, I just threw a monkey wrench.

While kind of cliche and an obvious HEA novel, it was a good read and made me finish with a sigh. A happy sigh. The ending was handled perfectly. Would I recommend this book? Romance lovers, read to your heart's content. I am definitely looking forward to future and other novels from Katie Klein.

First Line:

Never underestimate the power of glitter.
(LOL.)

Quotes/Excerpts:
"Maybe. But you know, when you love someone you love them. And every day you sit back pretending that you don't is one less day you have with him."

"If I meet you at your third floor window tonight, will you let me in?" he whispers softly against my ear, hardly a murmur.

"Sometimes I get lucky and we have real meal…like Hot Pockets."

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...