Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: Sweet Venom

Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls #1)Sweet Venom

Series: Medusa Girls, #1
Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA UF, Mythology
Features: Medusa, Gorgons, Greek monsters
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication Date: September 6, 2011
Source: Library
Photobucket
Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.
After reading Tera Lynn Childs' Fins series, I was really excited to find out about her new book Sweet Venom and couldn't wait to pick it up. This book has Childs' typical humor, which kept me smiling the whole way through. The action scenes were exciting and intense, and the use of three destined warrior heroines was awesome and kick-butt.

The book is told from three different view points: Gretchen's, Grace's, and Greer's. Gretchen is the "commando chick." She wears cargo pants and hides daggers in her combat boots. Grace is your eco-friendly vegetarian that always sees the good in people and is a bouncy, optimistic, and loving person. Greer is the rich socialite who spends her time going to charities, balls and teas. I loved each unique view point and the way each girl's personalities stood out through her narration of the story. It made it really interesting.

Out of the three sisters, I liked Gretchen the most. Mostly because she didn't make me snore. No offense. Grace made me bored and honestly, Milo was just too perfect. Her "I'm smaller than everybody else in the world" just made me feel like she should stop feeling sorry for herself and do something about it. Gretchen, on the other hand, was not afraid to tell somebody what she wanted. Take Nick, for instance. That guy was kind of creepy. The way he basically stalked Gretchen was just weird. And a little hot. A little. And besides, I'm sure there's more to him than he seems. I mean, I think it's pretty obvious he can also see the monsters that Gretchen can. I figured that as a huntress, Gretchen would be more observant. Apparently not.

Speaking of the two boys up there, I found it a little coincidental that two perfect boys just magically appeared at the beginning of both Gretchen and Grace's stories. However, this book is less focused on romance, unlike in Forgive My Fins, but I still enjoyed reading this more adventurous book from Tera Lynn Childs.

Greer was snooty in the beginning, but I could definitely sympathize with her. When you had the most perfect world with your whole game plan laid out for the rest of your life, and suddenly your two long lost sisters appear on your doorsteps with news that you're a descendant of Medusa, you'd probably be a little freaked out. She warms up to her sisters really quickly (almost too quickly), and it's because of this and the general pacing near the end of the book that I found it a little too rushed.

I'm looking forward to the next installment, because I can't wait to what happens next, and this book ended with a lot of unanswered questions. While I liked the book enough, I expected more from it. I know that Tera Lynn Childs and her future books have the potential to become even better.

Fans of Greek mythology will enjoy this new twist and find this book funny, energetic, and full of monster butt-kicking action.

First Line:
Hydras have a distinctive odor. It's somewhere between the acid tang of burning hair and a boat full of rotting fish. You can smell them from miles away.

Quotes/Excerpts:
I feel a tickle against my left ear, and when I jerk around at the sensation, I find a folded piece of paper waving before my eyes. I snatch the paper, throwing Nick a quick glare, and turn back to face front. I don't need Mrs. Knightly calling me out for note passing, especially not because of him.
For several long seconds, I sit with the note clasped between my palms, resting in my lap. Don't be curious, I tell myself. It's only going to annoy you anyways.
In the end, of course, curiosity wins out.
Carefully, so I don't draw any attention, I unfolded the note and slip it beneath my textbook. When I'm sure Mrs. Knightly is focused on the board, I slide it down to read: Can we talk after class?
Frankly, I'm a little disappointed. My imagination came up with so many better ideas for what the note might say. Like You fight giant scorpions often? Or Can we be more than friends now? Or even Thanks for leaving me with a concussion.
Can we talk? seems so tame in comparison.

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...