Saturday, March 3, 2012

Review: Pandemonium

Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)Pandemonium

Series: Delirium, #2
Author: Lauren Oliver
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Dystopian Romance
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: February 28, 2012
Source: Publisher for review
*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket
The old Lena is dead.
     The old Lena remains with Alex in Portland, Maine, behind a wall of smoke and flame, but the new Lena was born in the Wilds, transformed by hardship, deprivation, and loss.
     Now an active member of the resistance, Lena fights for a world in which love will no longer be considered a dangerous disease. Her inner life is as turbulent as the world around her... Although consumed with grief for Alex, might she be falling in love with someone else?
     In this riveting sequel to her New York Times bestseller DELIRIUM, Lauren Oliver sets Lena on a course that hurtles through the unregulated Wilds and straight into the heart of a full-scale rebellion. With her signature exceptional prose, Oliver masterfully weaves a bittersweet tale of star-crossed romance with high-stakes action that fans of The Hunger Games will love.
Ladies and gentlemen, I would just like you to know that I am screaming. That's what this book made me feel like. I finished it, and these were my thoughts:


...
...
...


OHMIGOODNESSWHATTHEHECKJUSTHAPPENED? *head explodes*


Alright, so maybe my head is still is fine condition. But that was a pretty good representation of what I felt. This book was amazing. If you loved Delirium, you are going to want to eat this one. (Apparently "eat" is above "love" on my emotional scale. I don't see anything wrong with that.)


The book is told alternatively between the present and the past. Not the past-past. Noooo. That old Lena is dead. Whatever happened in Portland is gone. We have parts where Lena is in the Wilds, just newly escaped from the bordered community. And then we have the present, which involves the resistance and all those big guns. Some of it was boring, and the beginning was pretty slow. While I enjoyed reading about the homestead (that's basically a camp for the Invalids), I wanted to skip some of the snail-pace parts.


Despite its slow start, this book starts fast forwarding very quickly and the words just hit you like BAM! BAM! BAM! (I'm sorry, but I'm finding a hard time describing this book.) Every single word was a twist in my heart. You have no idea (until you've read this book) how Lauren Oliver has the ability to hold your very heart in your hand and stretch it to her will. Kind of a scary image, yes, but kind of the best I can give you. Her writing is beautiful and descriptive, and kind of just flows over you like water. There were parts that left me breathless and all adrenaline-filled, like I just ran a marathon. I was pretty much on the edge of my seat the entire time. (That was a metaphor; the majority of it was read while lying in bed like the lazy person I am.)


And the ending. I don't know how much of it you have heard about, but I will not ruin it for you, because I am a nice person. But WOOOOOOW. After I read that last word, I just kinda of stared at the book with my mouth open. And then my dad made me go to bed, but I kind of just lay in bed for a few hours, thinking. And staring at the dark ceiling. Honestly, 2013 cannot get here any faster.


My thoughts? Read. This. Book. While it has a dystopian-ish feel, this book is definitely all about the romance, which Oliver does beautifully. You should definitely read it. I'm having trouble forming words right now, because my brain is still mush, so that's all I can think of.

First Line:
Alex and I are lying together on a blanket in the backyard of 37 Brooks.

Random Quotes/Excerpts:
"What are you worried about, then?" I take my rope of jerky, lean back against the wall, and start working it with my teeth.
He won't meet my eyes. "I just haven't spent that much time with-"
"Girls?"
He shakes his head. "Anyone," he says. "Anyone my own age."


They are both smiling at me, still, and it makes a nervous prickling feeling in my chest. It is a form of indulgence, the smile doctors give children when they administer painful shots. Now I promise, this will only pinch for a second...

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...