Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pure Review and Blog Tour

Pure (Covenant, #2)Pure

Series: Covenant, #2
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Reading Level and Genre(s): YA Fantasy
Features: Greek mythology
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Publication Date: April 3, 2012
Source: Publisher for review
*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket
There is need. And then there is Fate...
     Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. 
     When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her. 
     When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.
So, when this book showed up in the mailbox, the first thing I did was jump up and down and scream my head off. Because Half-Blood was just that awesome.

Alex's life sucks. I would never trade places with her. I mean, she gets two hot guys practically grovelling at her feet, but I wouldn't take them (as much as I love Aiden...) because there's just so much pressure in her life and I would crack like an egg if I was in her situation. (Like my use of figurative language there?)

If Half-Blood was Aiden's book, then this is Seth's book. Kind of. He's in it more. And I mean a lot more. My thoughts during all the Seth scenes? "Go away, please." I even said please! But noooo. He just had to keep sticking his arrogant nose into everything.


Aiden, who is less central to the book (but not to Alex's thoughts, of course) actually kind of... disappointed me. Not because he wasn't in the book enough. Really because of the opposite. I know a bunch of you are probably confused now, because I am so bipolar. Heh. Well, it's because I felt that it was in Aiden's character to act more stoic and emotionless and strong, even when in the face of his love (aka Alexandria Andros). I felt like he should've exerted more self-control and shown less of his feelings for Alex. Do you know how many times I kept wondering "Honestly, I'm pretty sure someone saw/heard that. That was soooo obvious." For instance, he says, several times, maybe in different words, "I can't love you." Me? I say "WHAT THE HECK?" You can't doesn't mean you don't. Therefore, Alex should probably use those ears of her and see that he is saying right there, that he probably does return her feelings. He isn't lying, but he's making it sound bad. (Kind of like a fairy. Fairies twist their words without lying. Heehee I just compared Aiden to a fairy.) Honestly, he should've just been quiet and secretly desired her. But she had to be all depressed about it. I mean, sure it sucks, but still. He should never have started those discussions. (Or encouraged them.)

But hey, what the heck? I love Aiden. I felt like he was a little out of character, and because of that he was risking their lives, but it's not my book. But speaking of the romance, the reason I am dedicating so much of this review to the romance in the book is because this book is chock-full of romantic ooey-gooey-ness. And there's a lot of romantic drama, my favorite combination! That was kind of sarcastic. I felt like there was a little too much drama... and way too much of Alex going "OHMIGOD I LOVE AIDEN BUT I CAN'T HAVE HIM AND THERE'S SETH RIGHT THERE AND HE'S PRETTY GOOD LOOKING. MAYBE I SHOULD GIVE HIM A CHANCE." Maybe not in those words, but yeah.

On to other topics. The rest of the book was fantastic, as usual. Awesomesauce with extra sauce, as Jennifer L. Armentrout herself would say. The majority of the book takes place at the Council in New York, and boy, it is a completely different setting from the one in North Carolina. The setting everywhere actually is different, because there's been daimon attacks and the officials are cracking down on everybody with lots of new rules. It's intense. I really enjoyed the plot and Armentrout's writing. As usual, she's hilarious and she makes everything fun and exciting, and I enjoyed reading about the events in the book. There are some scenes that are going to get your heart pounding.

In short, I really don't know why you're reading this review, because you should be holding Half-Blood in your hands (or Pure if you're lucky like me... Thank you, Kate at Spencer Hill!) and devouring it. If you already have finished, you might as well do it again. Rinse and repeat. Until April 3rd, that is. Then you should be making a beeline to your nearest bookstore.

P.S. Sorry about the super long paragraph rant up there.

P.P.S. The whole zoo thing is just amazing.

First Line:
I stared at the ceiling of the gymnasium, little black splotches dancing in front of me. 

Random Quotes/Excerpts:
"You have mayo in your hair," he murmured.
Giggling, I pulled back. "Where?"
He pointed. "You're such a messy eater."
After I got the mayo out of my hair, he studied me. "What? Do I have more mayo in my hair?"
"No." He glanced around the empty cafeteria. "How are things between... you and Aiden?"
~~~
(HAHAHA. Cue awkward silence, much? I believe you guys deserve two teasers.)
~~~
Would I be expected to waltz? The last time-and only time-had been with Seth and he'd dropped me. I couldn't hit the ground in this kind of dress-that would be a sacrilege. And who would even dance with me? Was I going to be hugging the wall all night?
That's when I started sweating.
Laadan grasped my hand with hers and led me forward. "You've fought daimons and the idea of a ball scares me?"
"Yes," I whispered.



Click here to check out the schedule for the tour! 

GIVEAWAY: To gain an entry in either/both of the tour giveaways for Pure, leave a comment below and tell me your favorite animal and then go to StuckInBooks and/or A Cupcake and a Latte with this post link to complete your entry.

Tweet with the hashtag #PureTourJLA to spread the tour love!

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...