Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Teen Book Con 2012 Part 2

What's Death Got To Do with It?
Holly Black, Gina Damico, DJ MacHale, Marlene Perez
Which of your books are you most proud of?
DJM: Whatever I'm writing at the time, because it's the freshest and the most fun. If I had to choose one, the tenth [and final] Pendragon, because it all fit together at the end.


Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)Was writing your first interest? Did you always want to do it growing up?
HB: It was, but I wasn't sure that I could do it for a living.
DJM: I did everything I could not to write. But it ended up like this.


What's your favorite part of writing?
DJM: I have three answers to that. When I come up with an idea and when I write the end. First drafts are terrible. The best is when someone comes up to you and says "I loved your book."
HB: I like to revise. The first draft is like pulling teeth. I love going back and fixing it.
DJM: You know what the worst part is? The worst part is when you have to hit "Send."
Croak (Croak, #1)MP: Some days I don't like to revise or write. *everybody laughs* I'm the greatest procrastinator. So I give myself word counts.
HB: The worst part: when you're in the middle of something, and then you realize it's the stupidest book ever. And then you call your critique partner and ask "Why'd you let me write this?" But you have to believe.


DJ, what was your inspiration for Pendragon?
DJM: I was in the middle of a TV show with Nickelodeon, and it was going nowhere. I had six or seven ideas at the time that I didn't know what to do with, so I ended up outlining ten books in a week. *other authors stare in horror*

Authors don't have a lot of input into book covers... is this true?
The Light (Morpheus Road, #1)DJM: *holding out Croak* Isn't this the best cover ever?
GD: My editor is awesome. My agent (agents are always the bad guys), told them what we thought, and it all worked out.
HB: Sometimes you don't have control, but if you're clever...
MP: If Barnes and Noble loves it, but I hate it, who wins? Barnes and Noble.
DJM: You know who else has a lot of power? Scholastic Book Fairs is powerful. They told me yellow books don't sell, and I thought "Curious George?" Pfft.
MP: Pink books sell. I have one- two of them!


You guys all seem like happy people. Why did you write about death?
 Dead is a BattlefieldDJM: *everybody laughs* And this is where we get to the heart of the discussion.
MP: I blame Dark Shadows, the old TV show. I watched it as a kindergartner. Probably not something you should do as a kindergartner, but I did, and I was never the same again.
HB: People say the media has a lot of influence...

What's your favorite book that you've written?
GD: This one.
HB: I have one I like in each series.
MP: I like the one that's finished.


What do you think about fan fiction?
DJM: On one hand, I'm totally flattered. On the other hand, I can't read it. It makes me nuts.
HB: I love that people do it. It creates a community of writers. But it can make you crazy.
MP: I can't even read other YA books when I write. I don't want it to impact my writing. I can't read other people's ideas.


Check out other Teen Book Con posts from this week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...