Thursday, April 19, 2012

Teen Book Con 2012 Part 4


Adults Are Overrated
Orson Scott Card, Inara Scott, Jessica Spotswood, Maggie Stiefvater
What's the inspiration behind your books?
JS: Born Wicked was inspired by a dream.
IS: I was reading C.S. Lewis. He was talking dualism and I wanted to do something like that, but different. What if good is bad and bad is good?
Pathfinder (Pathfinder, #1)MS: Water horses. [All I remember from her story. It was lengthy. There was something about fairies and a boat.]
OSC: Kissing scenes. [For those of you wondering how we jumped to kissing... I'm not quite sure, either.] Watching is kissing is horrible. Directing people how to kiss... uh. Now, writing kissing scenes has to get so clinical. It's no longer about the foreplay. Why are these people kissing? Why are they kissing when they are? Why are they kissing where they are? These days, it's all about the action. You have to write body parts. [And then I stopped writing because it got awkward.]


Is there some special place that you most like to write in?
JS: I like to write at night in my office. My husband is a playwright, so we have coffee shop dates.
The Marked (Delcroix Academy, #2)MS: I have to have music on, because I get so frequently distracted. In my office, I have a yoga ball. Studies show that people like Maggie concentrate better when bouncing.
JS: I was a yoga ball now, too!
OSC: I have the most boring office in the world. There's nothing to do but write or play video games.

What are you scared of?
MS: Orson.

JS: Vines. I know, it's weird. I feel like they'll get tangled in my hair and try to eat me. I don't like plants that don't flower. I don't trust them.
IS: Horror movies. Something happening to my children. That's a boring mom answer.


Orson, you talked earlier about Nathaniel Hawthorne and Moby Dick. What do you think of Charles Dickens?
OSC: The Pickwick Papers is crap. It's not even entertaining. David Copperfield was fantastic. If you're not enjoying Dickens, wait. 19th century English literature has a pace to it, and you have to slow down to enjoy it. It gets better with time. George Eliot? Never. I'm not old enough yet.


Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles, #1)Does it bother you when people say "It's just a story. It's not real."?
JS: Well... I feel like that's a lack of empathy. Sometimes, books are realer to us than real things when we're reading them.
MS: I love to make people cry. I want you to cry buckets. Your tears make me younger. I'm actually 84.
OSC: We practice real life when we're reading.


Do you hang with authors a lot?
IS: I have a community of YA authors in Portland, where I'm from, but we're all so busy and have things to do.
JS: We'd end up talking all the time...
MS: My two best friends are my critique partners. Find someone to read your book to critique.
The Scorpio RacesOSC: I have friends who write, but in different cities. I don't want to write about other writers, so I have interesting, normal friends to replenish my stock of real characters. Majoring in English is such a waste of time if you want to be a writer. Just write.
MS: See, but I have a problem with that. I have plenty of writer friends who are interesting.
OSC: Well, then you've found a better class of writers than I have.


Have you read anything recently that you really loved?
IS: Lola and the Boy Next Door.
JS: Megan Crewe's The Way We Fall. Bitterblue is my favorite this year so far.
MS: I'm in that stage of writing where I'm reading a lot of nonfiction. Not necessarily for research. I read this book from a lady who documented crazy birds that crashed into windows. I wouldn't say it was good. More... interesting. There were drawings. And I also read about tarot cards.


Check out other Teen Book Con posts from this week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...