Friday, April 20, 2012

Teen Book Con 2012 Part 5

Dystopia Rising
Megan Crewe, Michael Grant, Marissa Meyer
What was the inspiration behind your book?
MM: I entered a writing contest. There was a list of items I had to include in the story, and I chose to write about sci-fi and a fairy tale character. Later I found that only two stories were entered. I didn't win. Basically, I realized that I could write something like that: a mix of sci-fi and fairy tale.
MG: I like to have an effect on people. Make them cry, scare them, creep them out. So yeah, Gone is kind of creepy.
MC: It started with a dream. I just read Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth and I had a nightmare. The only other dream about a book that I'd had before was Stephen King's The Stand. I guess viruses scare me. So I wrote about it.
The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1)

Which of your own books would you like to see made into a movie?
MC: The Way We Fall would make a better movie.
MG: I have about 150 books. I want them all to be made into movies.
MM: Yeah, I'd love to see Cinder turn into a movie.


Pretend you're in The Way We Fall. What kind of survivor are you?
MC: I have a strong survival instinct. I'd take care of my husband and a close friend... but that's it. Everybody else would have to fend for themselves.
MG: I'm the snarky observer. Everybody wants to be the hero, but you don't know until the guns are shooting at you.
MM: I would not survive.


Who's your favorite author?
BZRKMG: Stephan King. He gave me a blurb for my book.
MM: Scott Westerfeld.
MC: The YA authors who have a lot of books in different genres.


Why did you choose to write dystopia?
MM: I wrote Cinder around when The Hunger Games first came out, so dystopia wasn't a big thing.
MG: I hadn't heard the word "dystopia" until the word came up in a panel in New York a few years ago. It just kind of happened.
MC: I don't worry about what genre I write in. I just write what I want to.


Do you have to do or have something to write?
MG: There's a lot of caffeine involved.
MM: I have to be wearing socks.
MC: I try not to distract myself. No music, I don't eat or drink.


Is there any author you would like to work with?
MG: Raymond Chandler. Patrick O'Brian. My wife, because she might hear about this later on.
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)MC: I'm a control freak, so I think we'd have problems. The story's mine. I don't think I'd want to.
MM: Same. We've tried before, but it hasn't worked. But JK Rowling. She's a genius. I couldn't contribute much, but maybe I'd just sit there and watch her.

What is your favorite classic dystopian novel?
MC: George Orwell's 1984. Animal Farm was kind of dystopian, also.
MG: Brave New World.
MM: The Giver. Eh, there's kind of a "Is it dystopian/utopian...?"


What's your favorite book that you've written?
MC: The newest one. It's more fresh and exciting. But I don't compare them otherwise.
MG: The one I just finished. I hate the one I'm working on.


Check out other Teen Book Con posts from this week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...