Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Review: The Summer My Life Began

The Summer My Life BeganThe Summer My Life Began

Standalone or Series: Standalone
Author: Shannon Greenland
Reading Level and Genre(s): MG Contemporary (Ages 12 up)
Publisher: Speak (Penguin)
Publication Date: May 10, 2012
Source: Unsolicited copy from publisher
*Note: The text featured in this post is from an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC). Changes may have been made in the final proof.
Photobucket
Elizabeth Margaret—better known as Em—has always known what life would contain: an internship at her father’s firm, a degree from Harvard and a career as a lawyer. The only problem is that it’s not what she wants. When she gets the opportunity to get away from it all and spend a month with the aunt she never knew, she jumps at the chance. While there, Em pursues her secret dream of being a chef, and she also learns that her family has kept some significant secrets from her, too. And then there’s Cade, the laid-back local surfer boy who seems to be everything Em isn't. Naturally, she can’t resist him, and as their romance blossoms, Em feels she is living on her own terms for the first time.
Have you been searching for the perfect, cute, beach read? Or something to brighten up those rainy, spring-summery-ish days? WELL SEARCH NO MORE, because you have come to the right place!

Ahem.

*steps off the ringmaster stand thing*

Elizabeth Margaret's life is structured, sheltered, and has pretty much been all figured out since Day 1. It looks perfect from the outside, but... I'd say it just isn't life. So Elizabeth Margaret (quite a mouthful) is finally done with high school. She has one last summer left to enjoy, until she goes to Harvard and then has to work in her dad's firm. Fun, right? Not quite. But then she receives a card from a long-lost aunt who invites her to hang out with her on her tropical-ish island resort. What does Em do? Well, to quote Drake, YOLO. (Yes, I had to put that in there.) Em hops onto a plane and lands in what is to her paradise/heaven, and life is wonderful. And the rest of the story, well you can find out for yourself.

As I said before, this book was cute and perfect as a light, easy read on a sunny day. There wasn't anything that I disliked about it, but there wasn't anything that really stood out to me, either. It's a book that is definitely targeted toward a younger audience (I seem to have been reading a lot of those recently... it's kind of boring.) and something that I think little girls would enjoy. I even teared up at the end, because I'm cheesy like that.

All in all, I don't really have much to say about this book. I read it and enjoyed it, although it did not make a huge impact on me since I'm just too old for this kind of stuff. Introduce this to your middle-schooler kid. Don't expect anything earth-shattering, but this book is quick, an easy read, and good.

First Line:

My sister and I had heard the same things our whole lives.

Random Quotes/Excerpts:
This was unbelievable. This place. Tilly. A B&B on an island. A cousin named Frederick. I wondered why my mom and grandmother had kept Aunt Tilly and my cousin a secret.

Disclaimers: Per the FTC regulations, please note that iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does receive books for review for free by publishers or authors. For every book reviewed – whether sent by publisher, author or books purchased, it will be graded with a clean and open mind. A free book received will not influence any opinion of the contents of the book.
Spoilers may or may not have been present in this review. While iLive, iLaugh, iLove Books does review honestly, reviews are not specifically checked for spoilers. Attempts at avoiding spoilers are made, but not all are removed or fixed. This disclaimer is a general statement placed on all reviews as a warning to those who read them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...